Adrian

Jurisdiction
Washington
Case1
Date of incident 5-27-11
Date of arrest 6-27-11
Theft of bike from a citizen
2nd amended to 3rd theft at July 19 plea setting
Plea statement based on affirming the allegations exactly as stated in the police report

Case2
Date of incident 6-27-11
Date of arrest 6-27-11
Theft of bicycle tools from same location as where bike theft occurred a month earlier
3rd theft (city)
At this 4-19-12 pretrial hearing there was a plea statement already written out for me stating " in my own words" the elements of the crime that I was to confess to in exchange for the prosecutors recommendation for a lenient sentence at final judgement.
For whatever reason it was, the plea statement that should have been for the tools (which I didn't know at the time) ended up being for the bike, as it states in the plea that on 6-27-11 I did attempt to steal a bike from a citizen.

The problem:
When on 4-19-12 that case2 plea was accepted, entered and given a final judgement; the case1 proceeding was still a pending matter in district court, which was for the same bike theft that case2 had mistakenly convicted and sentenced me for three months prior.

So on 7-19-12 I was convicted and sentenced for the second time for the same bike theft. the plea statement was based on my agreeing to the content of the police report; which was on the basis of the bike theft.

Any questions, just ask. I know the presentation kinda sucks.

I'm just wondering if when double Jeopardy is found to have occurred, does the person who was subjected to it then become subject to a financial award in a civil claim?
This being an amount separate from the wrongful imprisonment that would attach with it.

It's not double jeopardy.

If I understand you correctly you entered guilty pleas for a bicycle theft twice, one was in satisfaction of another charge?

Any questions, just ask. I know the presentation kinda sucks.

Make a promise to yourself tonight.

Promise yourself that from this minute forward the following: "I will never break any of their laws, ever!"

If you don't break their laws, you won't run afoul of their constabulary, and you won't have these criminal difficulties.

If you believe something is amiss with any of your convictions, talk to your former lawyer(s).

There is NOTHING a bunch of random, anonymous posters can do to change anything you've done to harm your life.

Only YOU can fix your life, mate.

Surely you had legal counsel through this. What did your lawyer tell you?

I don't see it as double jeopardy, and no, there isn't a financial benefit in your future.

You apparently committed two crimes and you were convicted and sentenced for two different crimes. You mistakenly believed that your confession for one offense was actually for the other. Given that these are typically very detailed matters it is hard to see how there can be such confusion, to which I again ask, what did your lawyer say about it?

There might be something that happened that can be corrected. Perhaps there was some kind of error. It just isn't going to result in a payday.

Back