Door Hit In New York

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYDrew

Hi to who ever can help.

My car door was hit today, but it is fairly complex.

I am a volunteer firefighter. I was responding to an alarm with my lights on. At a stop sign driver A pulled over to allow me to pass. So I did. About 300 feet down the road I came to a stop at the fire house. I opened my door and WHAM my door was gone.

I know under normal circumstances that I am at fault. But by pulling over for me she acknowledged I was an emergency worker responding and when I stopped it was obvious what was going on next. On impact she was traveling at a very high rate of speed and very closely on a 30mph side street. Based on distance to stop from the initial tire tracks, she was moving at a possible 50mph. This is obvious from the tire marks she left. The tire marks also show that regardless of the door, she was going to hit me regardless because the beginning of the swerve is closer to the curb then the furthest part of my car. She was going right for the back of my car.

How will fault be handled. Is there anyway I can get her insurance to at least cover some of the damage. She is also a moron because she claims I was not stopped...which I was...but brings us to the question, why did you pass me if I was not stopped. (Video Camara shows I was stopped and car was already turned off because my emergency lights turn off with the car). Is it possible that the new "move away and slow down" law will protect me.

I am very happy to be alive...but I'm unemployed and college loans suck all my unemployment.

No, I was in a personal vehicle equipped with blue "courtesy" lights. However, It is my personal feeling that her action of pulling over and allowing me to pass upgraded them to "emergency" lights from her perspective. Also my presence at an active firehouse, with the lights identifying me as a worker would classify me as an emergency worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back