Animal Injury, Dog Bite Dog loose near the park dog run

norberts

Jurisdiction
California
I hate it when people leave their dogs loose and pretend like they aren't going to harm anyone. That is what happens at a park near me. I was walking near a dog run when someone had their dog off the leash. The larger dogs in the dog run saw or smelled this smaller dog and came running over to the fence. This little dog ran toward the other dogs and then confronted them, got scared and then turned around and seemed to run at me. I wasn't really thinking about anything than protecting myself because the dog came right at me. I was frightened. I didn't realize that something must have gone on behind me. So I stuck out my foot to push the dog away or keep it away from me. The dog was struck lightly (not really kicked) and jumped and bit me on the arm which i raised to protect myself.

The dog owner got the dog back on the leash. I exchanged information because I wanted to call the police and the dog owner said she would settle it. Of course now after I call she says it's all my fault and I shouldn't have kicked her dog. WHY is she NOT RESPONSIBLE to have that animal on a leash? I think anybody would have acted with a reflex like I did.

Of course she's responsible. CA is a strict liability state for dog bites. See:

California Dog Bite Law

But if all you did was go home and but a band aid on it, you've got nothing that will get you any money.

You can still call the police and animal control and I suggest you do so.

Lesson for the future: If anything like this every happens again (dog bit, auto accident, injury at a store or somebody falling at your house, physical assault, robbery, burglary, etc), no matter how minor, call the police immediately. Never rely on anybody's promises.

If you are going to continue to spend time in dog parks, you'd be wise to watch these video about protecting yourself from aggressive dogs:

protecting yourself from dog attack - YouTube

Last edited:
Back