1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Dog Fight - Vet Bills

Discussion in 'Small Claims & Municipal Court' started by Kevin K, May 16, 2019.

1. Kevin K

Kevin K Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    Missouri
    my neighbors dog and mine got into a fight (3 months ago) and the neighbors dog needed to go to the vet for surgery. We paid the vet bills and when we went to court the judge ordered our dog be put down due to the seriousness of the attack. At the time the court said everything settled, dog put down, vet bills paid, fine paid, etc. A few weeks ago our neighbor emailed us about additional vet bills. I explained that everything had been settled and I don't owe them anymore money, I also asked what happened and he really wouldn't tell me anything. So I don't know if it from the attach or if he's trying to get more money out of us. Anyway, I got a summons for court (suing me) for the rest of the vet bills. My question? Do I owe him the money for the vet costs 2 months later?

2. justblue

justblue Active Member

Without knowing why the dog went back to the vet no one here can answer your question.

3. zddoodah

zddoodah Well-Known Member

Why?

What was the purpose of going to court? Did your neighbor sue you? Or was this a criminal or quasi-criminal case? Your reference to a "fine" suggests it was. Why wasn't the other dog "put down"?

Well...you "asked what happened and he really wouldn't tell [you] anything. So [you] don't know."

That being the case, we have no way of knowing anything beyond your statement that the judge "said everything [was] settled."

4. mightymoose

mightymoose Well-Known Member

No, not until the court says you do. If you dispute it then let him make his argument in court and explain why these expenses were not previously disclosed.
    Meanwhile you argue the matter is already settled. Write a response to the court indicating the matter was previously heard and seek dismissal.

Michael Wechsler likes this.
  5. Michael Wechsler

Michael Wechsler Administrator Staff Member

Read the words of the judgment in your case. It is possible that the matter was fully adjudicated at that time and that all current (and future bills) were taken into account although we simply do not know. Anyone can file a lawsuit and make allegations. And you can defense, as @mightymoose says, by asking the court to dismiss the case for a matter which had already been fully adjudicated. You may be able to obtain some assistance from the county clerk in the courthouse where the case has been filed.