Dog Fight - Vet Bills

Kevin K

Jurisdiction
Missouri
my neighbors dog and mine got into a fight (3 months ago) and the neighbors dog needed to go to the vet for surgery. We paid the vet bills and when we went to court the judge ordered our dog be put down due to the seriousness of the attack. At the time the court said everything settled, dog put down, vet bills paid, fine paid, etc. A few weeks ago our neighbor emailed us about additional vet bills. I explained that everything had been settled and I don't owe them anymore money, I also asked what happened and he really wouldn't tell me anything. So I don't know if it from the attach or if he's trying to get more money out of us. Anyway, I got a summons for court (suing me) for the rest of the vet bills. My question? Do I owe him the money for the vet costs 2 months later?

my neighbors dog and mine got into a fight (3 months ago) and the neighbors dog needed to go to the vet for surgery. We paid the vet bills and when we went to court the judge ordered our dog be put down due to the seriousness of the attack. At the time the court said everything settled, dog put down, vet bills paid, fine paid, etc. A few weeks ago our neighbor emailed us about additional vet bills. I explained that everything had been settled and I don't owe them anymore money, I also asked what happened and he really wouldn't tell me anything. So I don't know if it from the attach or if he's trying to get more money out of us. Anyway, I got a summons for court (suing me) for the rest of the vet bills. My question? Do I owe him the money for the vet costs 2 months later?
Without knowing why the dog went back to the vet no one here can answer your question.

my neighbors dog and mine got into a fight (3 months ago) and the neighbors dog needed to go to the vet for surgery. We paid the vet bills

Why?

when we went to court the judge ordered our dog be put down due to the seriousness of the attack.

What was the purpose of going to court? Did your neighbor sue you? Or was this a criminal or quasi-criminal case? Your reference to a "fine" suggests it was. Why wasn't the other dog "put down"?

Do I owe him the money for the vet costs 2 months later?

Well...you "asked what happened and he really wouldn't tell [you] anything. So [you] don't know."

That being the case, we have no way of knowing anything beyond your statement that the judge "said everything [was] settled."

Do I owe him the money for the vet costs 2 months later?

No, not until the court says you do. If you dispute it then let him make his argument in court and explain why these expenses were not previously disclosed.
Meanwhile you argue the matter is already settled. Write a response to the court indicating the matter was previously heard and seek dismissal.

Read the words of the judgment in your case. It is possible that the matter was fully adjudicated at that time and that all current (and future bills) were taken into account although we simply do not know. Anyone can file a lawsuit and make allegations. And you can defense, as @mightymoose says, by asking the court to dismiss the case for a matter which had already been fully adjudicated. You may be able to obtain some assistance from the county clerk in the courthouse where the case has been filed.

Back