Consumer Law, Warranties Dog Breeder Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcuthbert

About a year ago, I purchased two Italian Greyhound (I.G) puppies about 3 months old. They didn't appear to look like the typical I.G pups. The breeder assured me that they were in fact I.Gs and that their parents were AKC registered. I have in writing in 2 emails plus the contract that her and I signed confirming the transaction and the breed of dog I was purchasing. Now that they are at least a year old and fully grown, I had them blood tested and it confirms they are a mixed breed. They do indeed have I.G blood in them, but the majority of their genes are from another breed of dog.

I am not interested in giving the dogs back, nor at this point want a refund. However, this practice of deception is especially disturbing considering she breeds a wide variety of dogs. Do I have any legal recourse with this situation? Violation of contract? Or even better, is there a bureau or organization I can report her to in order to get her certifications/privelages/recognition with a kennel revoked? Beyond a letter to her expressing my dissapointment and misrepresentation is all I can think of. There must be laws governing dog breeders protecting buyers from this kind of deception. Thank you so much!!

I'm not an expert in pet law but you are probably potentially the victim of a breach of contract - assuming that the breed of the dogs was a part of the agreement. I do not know if the breeder knew although I assume it was likely. Why don't you first confront the breeder to discuss the matter and decide for yourself whether you want to take action. I'm sure there are other organizations that the breeder might be a member which would take interest and decertify a kennel. With regard to the "fraud" - are you sure it's widespread? At this point all you know about are your two dogs - and if you aren't prosecuting, should the law be interested in intervening? I'm sorry to hear about your case but am glad to hear that your dogs seem healthy and happy. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back