Does SOL apply to property taxes in CT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hjk823

Recently, I received letters from National Recovery Group (Geroge Dodd) about back taxes from town of Willington, CT for period 1999-2000. I moved out of CT in may of 1998 and moved to NJ. The funny part is that the car in question (97 Kia) was totalled in 1999 in NJ. I even had the adjustor from the insurance company call and fax directly to the collection agency to prove that there was no way anyone would register a totalled car. If the car was gone in 1999, why would anyone register the car? It just does not make sense and as many prior posts have said, I have always forwarded my addresses whenever I moved. As someone else had mentioned previosly, the CT township did NOT make any effort to collect this.

My "Amount Due" for 1 year worth of back taxes are $535.84 (mostly fees & heavy interest). Even after they received the official fax from the insurance showing that my 97 Kia was totalled in Oct. 99, they said it was not good enough. Now, they have sent me another letter saying that I have to show them proof of residency through motor vehicle registrations which I do not have. It has been 8-9 years and who would still have such documents.

My next move was going to be faxing them copies of my income tax returns for 1998, 1999, 2000, which all have addresses of NJ and NOT CT. However, from reading some of the posts here, it will never end. They will keep denying my proof saying that it is not good enough.

Is this something that will only go away when I pay them (assuming that it is legitimate debt), or should I just ignore it. They have not yet threatened me with taking legal actions but it seems like it will progressively get worse.

Am I eligible for a protection under the statute of limitation if this gets filed in a court?

I would greatly appreciate any sort of feedback.

Steve.

I am in the same situation with the same company - please keep me posted. My internet searches are telling me that the SOL is 10 years for this type of tax. As of now, I believe they are trying to collect at least some invalid debt. At this time, I have no plans of paying and I am planning on requesting that they stop bothering me or take me to court. I have proof that at least some of the debt is invalid (RMV records show my car was registered in another state during the periods that they are attempting to collect), so I am confident that they can not collect the entire amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back