Does personal jurisdiction could be over a J1 visa visiting scholar in Pennsylvania?

Costumer

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
I'm a J1 visa visiting scholar sponsor by myself in PA university for researching, my DS-2019 will be end till mid November in this year. Recently, I got a legal attestation letter form NV by whom trying to sue me affair. My question is: Does PA court has sufficient minimum contacts with J1 visiting scholar?

Does PA court has sufficient minimum contacts with J1 visiting scholar?

Yes. I think you have the wrong idea about what a court's "personal jurisdiction" is all about.

I got a legal attestation letter form NV by whom trying to sue me affair.

There is no "trying" to sue. There is only sue or not sue. Were you served a summons and complaint? You are not being sued until that happens.

What does the "letter" say?

My question is: Does PA court has sufficient minimum contacts with J1 visiting scholar?

By voluntarily placing yourself in PA, you automatically subject yourself to the jurisdiction of its courts, the administration of justice, however, long before you entered PA; you might remind yourself of the following:

31 CFR 515.329 - Person subject to the jurisdiction of the United States; person subject to U.S. jurisdiction.

Subject to the jurisdiction of one, subject to the jurisdiction of all.

This matter has been argued many times, and never once has any court thought other than once you set foot on US territory, you submit to the administration of its justice, and the laws of its states and territories.

That also includes to in personam jurisdiction.

You have no immunity as a visitor in this country, unless you are a diplomat or government official of a sovereign state.

Back