Drug Crimes, Substance Abuse does me selling my prescription create risk for roomies on parole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvs4rock

My jurisdiction is: california USA

I live with two men who are both on parole. (I have no record.) If I take my legally prescribed Vicodin down the street and sell it, does this create a risk in any way for the roomies?
This 'situation' has caused an atmosphere in my house that is, um, explosive, to put it mildly.
I say they're not 'at risk' in any way: until I actually sell them to someone I am not in violation of any law, (and neither are the roomies!) The Vicodin is legally in my possession; prescribed to me legitimately....
I am in dire need of some cash and I have a long-time associate who is addicted to painkillers-and has money to burn. Please don't construe this as my attempt to justify myself: I (would be) in no-mans-land ethically and legally but that's not the issue here.
THEY insist that I'm placing their freedom at risk.

HELP ME PLEASE!!! (or something much bloodier than illegal drug peddling is likely)>

Bluntly: who is right? Why? And, I know I'm reaching here, but any statutes or cite-able verification would help.....(by cite-able I mean only in the sense of quelling the dispute here, in house).
As far as I'm concerned this is a friggin ridiculous argument and my proposed crime has nothing to do with them...I know I sound like a s--t, sorry.
Any thoughts and arguments would be welcomed...even if they indicate I'm wrong (in the legal sense) about their 'risk'.

raskalnikov:

I am aware that what I read on this forum is not to be considered legal advice. I am also cognizant of the fact that I sound like a real low-life and thus undeserving of others' charity; that's okay, I'm not here to argue my worth as a human being. (I'll make my peace with my conscience in my own way if it comes to that.)

I would have liked to read your thoughts as you seem to be on-the-ball, so to speak, but I respect your decision to not "touch this one".

Thank you for going even that far.

Legally, I think you're correct. They're not responsible for your actions. From the sound of things, they are the farthest thing from being accessories and are actively discouraging your contemplated crime.

Practically, I can think of a few ways that you selling drugs might jeopardize your roommates' freedom. Like, you get busted for selling, and it turns out to be a condition of your roommates' paroles that they not associate with drug dealers. Or, you get busted for selling, and the cops have probable cause to search your lodgings, and they find things that your roommates would rather not have found. I'm sure there might be others.

lvs4rock,

Thanks for the compliment. I don't want to touch this one, because I have no idea what advice to give in a legal or philosophical sense.

As far as parole and probation goes, it depends on what the Judge/P.O. demands of them. For example, I can see that if you have your whiskey in the kitchen it can screw one of them over that isn't allowed any alcohol where they live. The argument that it is yours, not theirs simply doesn't 100% wash in the eyes of a P.O. with a vendetta in my hypothetical.

If I were in your shoes I'd devise a way so that the vicodin is never under the roof that you share. You write smart, so I trust you can figure out a way for that to happen.

Well, I surprised myself. I had to rack my brain to come up with some advice.

Another thing your housemates may not wish to admit is that they WANT your Vicodin. Maybe they get tested, and that prevents it, but they don't appreciate the temptation.

Well, I surprised myself. I had to rack my brain to come up with some advice.

Another thing your housemates may not wish to admit is that they WANT your Vicodin. Maybe they get tested, and that prevents it, but they don't appreciate the temptation.

rotflmao....(I don't think that's the case) but your comment sure lightened my mood-perhaps it wasn't intentionally humorous but it struck me as awfully funny! No disrespect intended, my sense of humor is sometimes a bit warped!

Thank you raskalinikov for the advice and the belly laugh!

How rude I am! My apologies, dee_dub, for not acknowledging your post.
And my sincere thanks for your comments.

FWIW, I posted my original question on another popular internet law advice forum and was thoroughly 'spanked' by several of the more frequent and (apparently) knowledgible posters there.

I had it coming.

Thanks for the thank yous. I can see how my suggestion your paroled housemates may be vicodin fiends could be humorous.

I can understand what you're doing. I've flushed vicodin down the toilet, but a voice in my head was curious how much money was I flushing down. . .

I try not to be judgemental. I've done all kinds of crazy things in my life and have found sanctimonious people to be the least effective in changing behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back