Does inspection notice extend a contract if closing date has passed?

Ace Jacobs

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I am selling a house in Missouri. Here are the bullet points:

- Agreed upon closing date was 7/12/21

- Addendum on contract: "$10,000 credit to be given, in lieu of repairs, and occupancy permit provided."

- Closing date passed, no extension was put out there. The occupancy permit was not available by the closing date, as repairs for this were being done, and the city of St. Louis took some time to inspect the property.

Is the contract active, given the closing date of 7/12/21 has passed? We both signed an inspection notice resourse. My realtor tells me that he BELIEVES this acts to keep the contract current, but Ive heard from other parties that since the closing date has passed, the contract doesn't hold any obligation to either party to move forward.

As the seller, I had to do $6,300 of repairs in order for the property to pass inspection, for the occupancy permit. Therefore, I wanted to negotiate the "$10k credit" since costly repairs were done. The buyer said absolutely not. Therefore, I do not wish to go through with the deal. The buyer is now threatening a "Breach of contract" lawsuit against me.

Given the above, is there an active contract? Or do I have no obligation to move forward with this deal, and still be in the clear from any court case filed against me?

My realtor tells me that he BELIEVES this acts to keep the contract current, but Ive heard from other parties that since the closing date has passed, the contract doesn't hold any obligation to either party to move forward.

A realtor isn't an attorney.

I suggest you visit a couple local real estate attorneys and seek the answers to all of your questions.

Never TRUST a salesperson or SELLER of a thing or item to tell you the TRUTH.

Never sell or buy real estate without engaging the services of a licensed, qualified real estate attorney that you know and trust.

Never seek answers to questions that involve MONEY or the loss of your freedom from unknown, unvetted sources off the internet!!!

Your realtor wants you to go to closing. No closing, no commission, so of course your realtor wants the sales contract to still be active.

As AJ said, get a legal opinion from an attorney.

You should be talking to an attorney, but generally contracts do not just go poof unless there is some provision in them that provides for a time limit.

I'm trying to get more opinions, as I've actually heard different responses from attorneys I've spoken to. It seems it's not exactly black and white. Any specific recommendations on someone who can provide a definitive answer?

A real estate lawyer licensed in your state who can look at the purchase contract ln light of the law and circumstances. We can't hazard a guess given the complete absence of information.

Real estate agents are not versed in the law. Do not rely on them.

I'm trying to get more opinions, as I've actually heard different responses from attorneys I've spoken to. It seems it's not exactly black and white. Any specific recommendations on someone who can provide a definitive answer?

Here's another opinion. Hire an attorney.

Note the emphasis on "hire." Any attorney you pay a fee to will have the opportunity to review your contract and your situation, chapter and verse, and research the appropriate law on the matter.

Attorneys you talk to with only sketchy information like you've given here aren't going to be definitive and, of course, you'll get different results from each.

Make an appointment with a real estate attorney, write a check and lay it all out for him/her.

You're wasting your time seeking a solution on the internet.

Back