Does Federal law prohibit a person from taking an OTF knife out of the country ?

Shaun Yargoff

I'm thinking about taking an OTF knife with me when going abroad some time and I'm curious to know if there is a federal law against doing so .

I'll be sure to check the laws concerning bringing such a knife to my country of destination by the way and thanks ahead of time for any answers . :)

Federal law prohibits you from carrying such on board an aircraft. No knives of any sort are allowed in carryons (even very small folding knives). The OTF knife can even land you in jail for carrying a dangerous weapon on board.

Knives are allowed in checked baggage. However, there is a federal prohibition on interstate "commerce" on such knives, but it would seem if you are bringing this knife purely for your own purpose, then going OUT is not a problem. However, it is illegal to bring such a knife back into the US, even for personal use.

Federal law prohibits you from carrying such on board an aircraft. No knives of any sort are allowed in carryons (even very small folding knives). The OTF knife can even land you in jail for carrying a dangerous weapon on board.

Knives are allowed in checked baggage. However, there is a federal prohibition on interstate "commerce" on such knives, but it would seem if you are bringing this knife purely for your own purpose, then going OUT is not a problem. However, it is illegal to bring such a knife back into the US, even for personal use.

Is there a list detailing what types of knives you can't bring back with you to the US ?

Thanks again for the answer by the way .

Is there a list detailing what types of knives you can't bring back with you to the US ?

I couldn't find a list, but i didn't look that long.

This will jumpstart you, or call CBP, email CBP, or visit CBP and ask for more specificity.

Customs and Border Protection does not prohibit the importation of swords, although your local police jurisdiction might have regulations restricting having these weapons in your home. Switchblade knives* and other spring-loaded knives are prohibited and may be subject to seizure (there is an exception for one-armed persons).

*According to the Federal Switchblade Act, folding knives with a blade bias toward closure are not considered switchblades.

****This website MIGHT answer all of your concerns, also check the federal law it cites:

OTF Knife State Laws & Legality - RavenCrest Tactical

<========================================>

What you can travel with or carry in luggage on a plane (carry-on or checked baggage)

He said that in the initial post.

You can't bring in anything defined as a switchblade in Federal statutes. While your OTF knife isn't necessarily meeting that description, but I suspect yours does. In order for it not to be banned under federal import laws, you must be required to move the blade by hand. Release by a spring, gravity, inertia or moving something that's not the blade (like a slide in the handle) meets the definition. In addition, the gravity and balisong (butterfly) knives are also illegal to bring in.

Back