1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

Does arrest record but case dismissed affect immigration status and my application for us citizenshi

Discussion in 'Green Card, Residency, Naturalization' started by Sissy.cisse, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Sissy.cisse

Sissy.cisse Law Topic Starter New Member

Jurisdiction:
    New York
    Does arrest record but case dismissed affect immigration status and my application for us citizenship?

Iam a green card holder since 2012. I would like to apply for citizenship. I have been arrest. But the case was dismissed. Will this arrest affect my immigration status?
    I want to know if that arrest can have my application for US citizen denied?

If so, what can I do?

2. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

What EXACTLY was the charge lodged against you upon arrest?

Yes, some arrests can cause a LEGAL immigrant's deportation.

ANY arrest could cause an ILLEGAL ALIEN to be deported.

If you want a better answer, discuss your situation with a licensed immigration attorney.

A discussion board is of little use to a person with a delicate legal matter.

Sissy.cisse likes this.
  3. ElleMD

ElleMD Well-Known Member

In theory, if it was dismissed, it *should* not be held against you. In reality, with the cluster that has been made of immigration by the current administration, get thee a lawyer. Depending upon *how* it was dismissed and what is in the record, and what the charges were for, it can make a difference.

Sissy.cisse likes this.
  4. flyingron

flyingron Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to strongly disagree with ElleMD. First, the N-400 is quite clear about having to disclose things that didn't even lead to an arrest, let alone a conviction. Any arrests, even with dismissed charges, MUST be disclosed and will be discussed at your interview. Just what effect it has, as ArmyJudge points out, depends on the details. You definitely should be consulting an immigration attorney about how to handle what is surely going to come up at your interview.