Medical Malpractice Doctor put my son's hand in a cast

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivingmecrazy

My son's hand was put in a cast beyond the wrist because he had a fracture in one of his fingers. The doctor wasn't around to take it off and another doctor was on call. In passing he seemed to say that he wouldn't have put my son's hand in a cast with the broken bone because he said you need more motion these days and also it is bad for the wrist. I asked the doctor when he came back about the cast. The doctor said it was a matter of opinion what to do and this was the safest way to guarantee that the bone healed properly. I went to another doctor for a second opinion while my son has been doing physical therapy. He disagreed with the first doctor and all but said that he thinks the guys is a quack. Can I sue the first doctor for medical malpractice. It's not even the money as much as it is teaching this jerk a lesson. He didn't give my son much time to talk and was busy trying to see as many patients as he could (and probably bilking their insurance plans.)

You can sue anyone you choose to sue.
You'll have to prove, in the example you cite -your son's broken bone repair- that the physician committed medical malpractice.
That means getting a couple of his colleagues to say under oath, before a judge and jury, what they said to you privately.
Don't expect them to rat out a colleague readily, if at all.
Without expert opinions to the contrary, your lawsuit isn't going to be successful.

What permanent damage has your son suffered as a direct result of his hand being casted?

It appears your argument is not that your son incurred malpractice but that he incurred over conservative treatment. As we are not aware of where the break was, and the other doctors might not have either, I do not see anything here. Since this does not appear to be an issue I am not going to spend time researching however this link clearly says a cast can be appropriate for broken fingers.

http://www.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Broken-Finger

Last edited:
I very seriously doubt (I don't see it) you have a medical malpractice case here just because your son's hand was put in a cast. Can you prove there was damage to your son because of this & that other doctor's agree there was damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back