Do Ihave to sign an "authorization for disclosure of consumer information"

jwquestion

Insurance adjuster sent me an "authorization for disclosure of consumer information" form to sign
Riverside, CA | 13 hours ago
Car was stolen, filed police report and notified insurance. Adjuster questioned me on the phone and recorded call. Said they would email documents to sign and fedex back. The one that concerns me is this "authorization for disclosure of consumer information" form. It gives the adjuster or investigator permission to access pretty much any records they want, including any financial records, phone records, pretty much has everything checked off. I am already sending them my phone records and bank statements as they requested those as well.

I don't feel comfortable signing a document that gives them blanket authority like this. Will this delay my claim or get it denied if I refuse?
This seems like the definition of bad faith that they would want to investigate me the moment I file a claim. I want to cooperate, but I feel they are over steeping what is fair.

I've searched other places for an answer and have been told everything from "give them anything they want or they'll deny your claim" to "don't sign it, it's a violation of rights and bad faith"

Insurance adjuster sent me an "authorization for disclosure of consumer information" form to sign
Riverside, CA | 13 hours ago
Car was stolen, filed police report and notified insurance. Adjuster questioned me on the phone and recorded call. Said they would email documents to sign and fedex back. The one that concerns me is this "authorization for disclosure of consumer information" form. It gives the adjuster or investigator permission to access pretty much any records they want, including any financial records, phone records, pretty much has everything checked off. I am already sending them my phone records and bank statements as they requested those as well.

I don't feel comfortable signing a document that gives them blanket authority like this. Will this delay my claim or get it denied if I refuse?
This seems like the definition of bad faith that they would want to investigate me the moment I file a claim. I want to cooperate, but I feel they are over steeping what is fair.

I've searched other places for an answer and have been told everything from "give them anything they want or they'll deny your claim" to "don't sign it, it's a violation of rights and bad faith"

No, you aren't required by law to sign the form.
Ask the insurance adjuster what happens if you decline to sign any of their forms.

By the way, if you were behind in your car payments, (or if your finances were in trouble) it might cause the insurance company to look more thoroughly into the alleged "car theft".

Ask the insurance adjuster why, or wait for our resident insurance expert to reveal the many "whys and wherefores".

No, you aren't required by law to sign the form.
Ask the insurance adjuster what happens if you decline to sign any of their forms.

By the way, if you were behind in your car payments, (or if your finances were in trouble) it might cause the insurance company to look more thoroughly into the alleged "car theft".

Ask the insurance adjuster why, or wait for our resident insurance expert to reveal the many "whys and wherefores".

I haven't even made a payment yet, the car is brand new. I've never been behind on a payment though and my credit score is around 800. I have no financial problems.

As soon as claim was filed they requested this info, so it appears they must ask everyone with a claim to sign this form as I don't think they had time to investigate anything that quickly.

I can understand investigating someone if they find something that looks unscrupulous, but to investigate a customer without cause seems like an unfair practice.

I haven't even made a payment yet, the car is brand new. I've never been behind on a payment though and my credit score is around 800. I have no financial problems.

As soon as claim was filed they requested this info, so it appears they must ask everyone with a claim to sign this form as I don't think they had time to investigate anything that quickly.

I can understand investigating someone if they find something that looks unscrupulous, but to investigate a customer without cause seems like an unfair practice.

I'm just a nobody, nothing, piece of scum on the 'net, boss.

You're wasting your brain cells on a nothing, don't matter dude, boss, useless me.

Tell it to Ms. Bigg, or Mr. Bigg, boss.

I ain't nobody special, champ.

I'm just a nobody, nothing, piece of scum on the 'net, boss.

You're wasting your brain cells on a nothing, don't matter dude, boss, useless me.

Tell it to Ms. Bigg, or Mr. Bigg, boss.

I ain't nobody special, champ.

What the heck does this mean? This sounds like incoherent gibberish. Am I missing something?

Go directly to the source, the insurance adjustor or talk to your agent. Ask them the purpose of the form and the consequences of not signing. Anybody else can only speculate.

Go directly to the source, the insurance adjustor or talk to your agent. Ask them the purpose of the form and the consequences of not signing. Anybody else can only speculate.

Best advise yet. Adjuster said to cross out everything that is not needed. That was easy and straightforward. The adjuster has been very friendly and helpful so far.
Car has not been recovered yet though and it's been a week, so I'm losing hope for getting it back.

Back