Do I stand a chance of getting emancipated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

needinganswers

I am 16 years old. I have been working part time for over 1 year now I have 2,800 saved up so far.I am taking classes for my G.E.D. I have taken 2 out of the 5 tests for the G.E.D. I should have all of the testing done within 2 months at the most.

Reason for wanting emancipation:
1. My parents are moving out of the country (Costa Rica) on Jan 1
I would like to stay behind and finish up my G.E.D and possible consider attending college at 16.
2.My parents really don't care about my education I have been taken in and out of school since I was in 4th grade they forced me to quit school completely in 8th grade.(without homeschooling).There reasons for taking me out of school consist of them saying we travel to much.And since most schools only allow you to miss a couple of weeks of school, they decided to take me out all together.
3.I honestly think moving to Costa Rica would NOT be in my best interest.There is no future for me there. no chance for me to continue my education. I would have to wait 2 years just to be able to finish my G.E.D.There are no English speaking schools in our area.I feel as if moving there is a waste of my time that could be better spent finishing my G.E.D and getting my drivers licenses.
4. I feel that I am ready to live on my own and that I am mature enough to take on the responsibilities required.

My parents will not give consent and I haven't been able to live outside of my parents house at all.As of now they have no idea I am pursuing this.
I was wondering if you guys could post your opinions on my on the chances I have of getting emancipated.I live in the state of Montana if that helps any.If you have any futher question that would better help you understand my situation please ask.

You really need to find a lawyer that gives free consultations or just pay one for an hour and find out what your chances are. I would think your reasons are good ones (especially since they are leaving the country) but you need to talk to a professional as soon as possible.

If your parents will not give their consent, your chances are slim to none. Also, please explain how you are going to complete your education while simultaneously earning enough money to pay for rent, food, transportation, utilities, medical care, etc. In order to be emancipated, you must be able to COMPLETELY support yourself with no help from ANYONE.

First off thanks for the rep lie.
That's a good question.By continuing my education I mean finishing up my G.E.D I will have my G.E.D about 1 week after they move.Once I have my G.E.D I can focus on just supporting myself.There is a College in Texas (SFNI) that would accapt me at age 16, the next semester starts in April I believe.I already have enough money on my own for tuatition coasts and board(not counting the money my parents set aside for my college).I also have a sister in Texas who is really close to where I would be going to school, so I wouldn't be completely alone in a new state.I am not sure about going to the college though, just considering my options.I would really like to get emancipated,but by doing so I know it will hurt my parents(even though its somewhat there fault for not letting me go to school) I don't want to take the risk unless I know I stand a fair chance of getting it.

As I said before, in most if not all states that allow for a minor to be emancipated (not all do) your parents permission is mandatory. No permission, no emancipation.

Ohh ok.Would you happen to know if Montana requires consent?Or maybe a link to Montana specific laws for emancipation. I have done quite a few searches and haven't had much luck.Thanks for your help by the way much appreciated.

Sorry for all these questions this will be the last one.
I am having some one drive me to the court house next week.But I am not really sure what I am supposed to do once I get there.Do I just walk up to the desk and say that I want to speak to some one about getting emancipated, and then wait in line?I don't want to fill any papers out yet,I am looking for some legal advice(preferably free advice), I just want to know if I even stand a chance at getting emancipated.Do you know of anyone I can talk to?

Sister as legal guardian?

Is your sister at least 18? I don't know the law as I'm not a lawyer, but maybe if she is willing and your parents are willing she can becomae your legal guardian. I do not know the process of how someone becomes a legal guardian but a lawyer will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back