Do I need to get business licenses from all involved counties?

Pipan

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello

My business is going to operate in Greater Austin area which is split at least between two counties. My business has one physical location, but our service can be in both counties, by visiting the other county and rendering the service. In addition to getting license(s) from state of Texas, do I need to get licenses from both counties, or just from the county that the physical address of the business is?

Thank you.

We don't know what services you are providing and, accordingly, are not in a position to answer your specific question regarding licensing.

I would guess that if you're providing business within the confines of another jurisdiction, you may be required to be licensed within that jurisdiction. For example, if you're a plumber with a physical location that is a half mile within the border of one state (Texas) and you are likely to service locations just a mile away but in a neighboring state (Oklahoma), that state would likely require you to be licensed to provide plumbing services as it is a separate jurisdiction.

Hello
My business is going to operate in Greater Austin area which is split at least between two counties. My business has one physical location, but our service can be in both counties, by visiting the other county and rendering the service. In addition to getting license(s) from state of Texas, do I need to get licenses from both counties, or just from the county that the physical address of the business is?

That will depend on the type of business you have and the ordinances of both counties. It is not unusual that each county will require some sort of business license for each business that conducts business in that county there regardless of whether it has a physical office or shop in that county. But the devil is, as they say, in the details. These are the sorts of things that are good to ask your business lawyer (and if you don't have one it would be a good idea to get one to ensure you are meeting all your legal obligations).

Wouldn't it make sense to contact those counties' regulatory agencies for the answer to that question?

Come to think of it, mate, that is exactly what I'd do.

One of my granddaughters, however, would ask her imaginary friend, Siri.

Back