Do I need an attorney in the state where the accident occured?

G

My mother was severely injured in an accident in Alabama. She is in a hospital in Georgia, where she lives. Do we need an Alabama attorney, or should we hire an attorney in Atlanta?

My mother was severely injured in an accident in Alabama. She is in a hospital in Georgia, where she lives. Do we need an Alabama attorney, or should we hire an attorney in Atlanta?

I suggest you start by discussing the case with a GA lawyer.
The GA lawyer can advise you if he or she can represent your mother.
More likely than not, a GA attorney will take the case.
So, you interview three or four local lawyers, and hire the one you believe will best represent mother's interests.

My sympathies to you and your mother. I hope she recovers soon and completely.

We don't know all the details regarding the incident. If the accident occurred in Alabama, chances are that you'll need an attorney who is licensed to practice in that state if there is a case and it goes to trial. That doesn't prevent you from retaining a local attorney that you trust from representing you and your interests with regard to a settlement. However, you should ask the attorney how he would handle the case should it require going to trial and what may need to be done. If you don't have someone you know and trust already, you should consider interviewing more than one attorney, even considering someone in Alabama. And it is possible that, where states are adjoined or near each other, that a firm may have individuals (or the same person) admitted in Alabama. Many attorneys are licensed to practice law in two states. Best of luck to your mother and to you.

Back