Do I have to give this refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kadams

I sold some boxes of Dutch Quality Stone on Craigslist. I have 3 1/2 boxes. I paid $88 per box, and listed the boxes for $190. I had asked my cousin who did the work with the stone how many square feet a box covered. He thought you could get 40 square feet out of one. A man called me and said he needed to build around a wood burning stove, but did not need 120 feet. He asked if I would come down on the price, because he did not want to have to pay for what he would not use. I wanted to get rid of the boxes, so I agreed to $140. Then he called me and said he did not realize he needed to use mortar and mesh, could I come down further. I agreed and we agreed on $125. We agree on a time for pickup, he comes, inspects each box, hands me the money and loads it up and leaves. I have a witness to this because I never meet with someone from Craigslist alone.

About 45 minutes later he calls irate because he says there is not 40 square feet per box. I am honestly surprised - I'm a woman - I did dot the work myself, and it had been three years earlier. So there is only about 44 square feet. However, he is building a "fireplace" box around a wood stove. He is angry and keeps saying "I paid for 120 square feet". This puzzled me at his anger, while I apologized for making a mistake, I was surprised because he had said he didn't want the extra in the first place, and got me to come down in price to compensate him for taking it all.

He wants to return the stone. Now I have figured that he was the one who was scamming me - a women - whom he figured had no idea (and I didn't). He was getting the stone at a great price, and would have extra to sell or do something with.

Am I obliged to let him return the stone?

Regardless of how much he needs, you represented that you were selling 40 square feet per box.

So even though he got me to come down via telling me he was doing me a favor by taking it, and he didn't need it and didn't know what he would do with it - I have to refund him because he can't make a profit? Pretty sad. He paid exactly for what he received, in the end.

So even though he got me to come down via telling me he was doing me a favor by taking it, and he didn't need it and didn't know what he would do with it - I have to refund him because he can't make a profit? Pretty sad. He paid exactly for what he received, in the end.

The idiot bought junk off of that SCAM LIST. He gets what got, SCAMMED or SCRAMMED.
Seriously, you don't have to do a darn thing.
If he thinks he was cheated, too bad. He'll have to go to court and prove his allegations.
That'll be far more trouble than he or you can imagine.
If he wins, it won't be money.
He'll get a piece of legal paper saying YOU owe HIM.
Then he'll spend more money failing to collect his useless judgment.
You don't have to do anything, because even if you lose, the judge snt ordering YOU to pay.
The order will read SUE owes BOB. Then BOB must attempt to collect, and on $50 or $100 that ain't cost effective or easy. Beyond that, he won't sue, he's too stupid to know what he bought.

He bargained you down. He saw what you were selling. He made the mistake. You didn't trick that dummy.
So, simply tell him, NO REFUNDS. Tell him to sue you. I gave you your winning defense for FREE.

Last edited:
He got his order - I wouldn't refund any money. It's very, very doubtful he will sue.

You misrepresented the quantity. Even though he should have verified it, you should allow him to return the stone.

You lied about what you were selling him. Your gender doesn't render you incapable of measuring what you are selling or being honest if you didn't know. He paid for a certain quantity of material. I would say you owe him a refund.

It also comes to what was in the Craigslist ad. If the amount was listed only as boxes your defense will be easy. If you listed the amount in sq feet it can be a problem.

Legally it may not be worth his effort to pursue this refund and you may get away with it. Morally and ethically, you agreed to give him x amount of product for x amount of $. If you didn't like the price he offered, you could have refused. You agreed. You did not deliver on your promise. It has nothing to do with whether or not he can make a profit. If you think you can feel good about taking someone's money and shorting them on the product, then don't give the refund.

It seems he did not need 120 feet, but did need mire than 40 feet. Your misrepresentation caused him to make the purchase. Granted, he should have verified before paying you, but it likely was not easy to determine the amount without laying it all out once he got it home. I agree you aren't legally required to give him a refund, but an honest person with a conscience likely would.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back