Do I have rights as a tenant?

Ownagesoft

Jurisdiction
Ohio
Hi I live in my first apartment. My lease has ended in March. I was paying 585$ a month and I received a letter February 11th saying that my rent has been changed to a month to month contract. Starting March 1st. Begin paying a new monthly rent in the amount of 465.00 signed by the manager. So we continued to pay this for 2 months and now there saying we are short 240.00 and must pay it. Do I have any rights in this? I have never did this before as this my first rental, I assumed when switched to month to month perhaps premiums are lowered? Anyway I offered to pay $20 extra a month since I'm on a fixed income. To hold the balance of not paid and it can also come out of my deposit. They want the money now or legal action? Am I wrong for following the new rent sent to me and signed by the manager? Why am I being punished for there mistake? What are my rights. I live in Ohio.

Thank you

Hi I live in my first apartment. My lease has ended in March. I was paying 585$ a month and I received a letter February 11th saying that my rent has been changed to a month to month contract. Starting March 1st. Begin paying a new monthly rent in the amount of 465.00 signed by the manager. So we continued to pay this for 2 months and now there saying we are short 240.00 and must pay it. Do I have any rights in this? I have never did this before as this my first rental, I assumed when switched to month to month perhaps premiums are lowered? Anyway I offered to pay $20 extra a month since I'm on a fixed income. To hold the balance of not paid and it can also come out of my deposit. They want the money now or legal action? Am I wrong for following the new rent sent to me and signed by the manager? Why am I being punished for there mistake? What are my rights. I live in Ohio.

Thank you

If you received WRITTEN correspondence as your lease was to expire indicating you owe $465.00 per month effective as of your prior lease expiration, you have the right to assert that at the upcoming eviction proceeding.

Your LL says you should have kept paying $585 TWO MONTHS after the fact.

As of now, your position should be you'll pay what is contained in the written correspondence. As a month to month tenant in Ohio, your LL is required to give you notice allowing you 30 days to accept the increase, or move out.

That appears not to have happened properly.
It looks as if the LL is bullying you into paying the $565, not the $485 contained in the written document.

If your agreement doesn't say it's a lease for a specific period of time or if you don't have a written agreement, you have what is called a month-to-month tenancy. With a month-to-month tenancy a landlord can usually raise the rent as much as she or he likes after giving 30 days notice. You can accept it, or reject it and move out.

Your landlord is trying to illegally correct the mistake in your written document.

Back