Do I have Any Chance of Getting My Money Back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adhesion

I live in Virgnia and my now ex-fiance owes me over $7500 for paying for his car insurance, repairs, computers etc. over the years based on the verbal promise that he would pay me back. Up until Feb. he was paying me around $400 a month towards his debt, but stopped after we broke up and always ignores me or refuses to answer me when I press him in regards to when he will begin paying me back again. He has told other people that he doesn't owe me anything and I can already see that he isn't planning on fulfilling his finacial obligation to me. I first need to know if I have a case here to take him to court. Even though we only had a verbal agreement I would think that the fact that he has been paying me would be evidence that he HAD agreed to pay me back. Also, I feel like his receiving a letter from a lawyer regarding possible legal action might be enough of a push to get him to pay, but don't know how I would go about getting that done. He still lives at home rent free while I am the sole supporter of both myself and my elderly mother. I very much need this money back and have tried to be as nice as possible about it, not even asking him to pay the enormous interest it has accrued. Thanks!

Last edited:
Him paying you the $400 a month proves it was a loan, you should take him to small claims court and sue for the full amount allowed by your state! BUT make sure you have proof of those payments me made and proof of what you paid for him (bank statments etc)

7500.00 likely exceeeds the small claims limit in most states. All you can do is sue him if you want to file a claim for small claims limit. Small claims is cheap and informal. You can also see an attorney about pusuing a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back