1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

Dismiss Notice

do I have a right to be before a grand jury prior to jury trial Criminal Trials, Hearings

Discussion in 'Criminal Procedure, Criminal Court' started by constitionalist, Aug 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. constitionalist

constitionalist Law Topic Starter New Member

should I have been brought before a grand jury prior to my having a jury trial

2. mightymoose

mightymoose Moderator

That is not what a grand jury is for.

3. disagreeable

disagreeable Well-Known Member

A grand jury hands down indictments based on presentation of evidence when the police are not sure they have enough info to prosecute. The person charged is not informed of the proceeding, nor do they appear.

4. army judge

army judge Super Moderator

If you ever find yourself sitting in the HOT SEAT at a grand jury proceeding, you're probably a target of an intense investigation.
    That said, you don't need to be indicted by a grand jury to be arrested and charged.
    In a few situations, in a few states, there are several exceptions to the above premise.

Here is a very informative read by one of your PA state, Assistant AGs:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/crime.aspx?id=207

Remember Jerry Sanduskey? Well, here is the actual presentment of the grand jury's findings:

http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedfiles/press/sandusky-grand-jury-presentment.pdf