Do I have a case?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smilee112

Not long after I moved into a 3BR apartment, a former co-worker offered to move in with me to help me with rent. Since I moved in on my own, she was not on the lease but agreed to pay a certain amount each month. She moved in at the end of August 2004 but did not pay me anything until the end of September. It was an agreement that since her job paid her once per month she could pay me at the end of each month. That, of course, meant I had to pay the whole amount and wait for hers later.

At the time I worked full time but then I enrolled in grad school full time in January meaning I didn't work. Since there were not enough classes offered to maintain my status, I opted to spend the summer with my family in a city that is 11 hours away from me. Staying with my parents helped me financially because I could not afford to buy food or gas without a job. Since it is my apartment, I knew that I had full obligation to pay my rent.

Only days later I found out that she intended to move before I would be back in town. She said her car had been broken into twice but I noticed she told me when we were discussing money owed. Of course I was uncomfortable with her moving while I was gone since a great deal of her belongings were taken from someone else's apartment in his absence. I did not want to worry about her taking my things. I asked her specifically when she would move and she said June 27 for sure. I went down there and my sisters (and their children) rode with me for driving assistance. She was not there so I called her and told her I was in town to get my key and the rent for June before she moved. She called back claiming she could not move until June 30 and she would mail the key. I was NOT comfortable with the key being mailed to me because there was no guarantee it would get to me. I tried to be reasonable and waited to give her more time.

On her own volition, she brought a friend over to help her pack everything on the evening of June 25. The next morning, June 26 she brought her parents to get more. The only thing I asked for was the mailbox key. Since she claimed she hadn't been staying there, I wanted to check my mail. She left and my family and I left for a quick trip to the mall. While we were gone, she sent me a text message saying that she left my keys under the mat and all was well. She also asked for me to be on the lookout for a package.

June 30 came and went and I received no money. So, on July 1 I left a voice mail asking her to call me back. When she didn't, I called on July 2 and July 3 asking when she would pay my money that she promised. I could not pay my rent without it. I didn't ask for the late fee, just what she promised. She sent a text message saying i kicked her out on June 26 and she didn't owe me anything and that I should stop harrassing her. I have proof that she moved out on her own. I wouldn't have kicked her out because I was used to her being there and I was over 700 miles away! I do not expect the late fee money because that was my responsibility. All I want is the money she truly owes and guaranteed she would give to me. Can I get it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back