Do contract repair question.

Jasontd101

Jurisdiction
Florida
If I sent an item to a repair company
for a repair quote and they gave a quote over the phone and I said not to do the repair as it was too expensive and to please just send back the item and when I got it back it was repaired am I responsible? Also they messaged me and said to send it back and they would undo the work and send the item back in it's original damaged condition. What are my legal responsibilities in this situation and can this go against my credit if they report non payment? There is no contract or anything in writing of any kind and everything was done over a phone call only.

If I sent an item to a repair company
for a repair quote and they gave a quote over the phone and I said not to do the repair as it was too expensive and to please just send back the item and when I got it back it was repaired am I responsible?

I'm a little perplexed about the notion of sending something to someone for a quote. However, if it was clear that you sent the thing solely for the purposes of obtaining a quote, and if you declined to have repairs done, then there's no reason why you ought to be liable for gratuitously made repairs.

can this go against my credit

Doesn't appear to be a credit transaction.

Big mistake.

Now, if they send you to a collection agency, you won't be able to prove who said what, and the collection account may end up on your credit.
Thank you for the help and input. Neither party has proof the work was requested, there was nothing in writing either way. I do have a txt thread from them stating they wanted it back to remove what they have done since they repaired it in error. I guess that would be proof to a collection agency that the error was on their end and I never asked for the work to be done?

Why don't you negotiate? Perhaps you can pay them something closer to what you would have been willing to pay.

I tried that and he said he would rather remove the work. I don't want to mail it back based on what has transpired and him giving me that one option.

What are my legal responsibilities in this situation and can this go against my credit if they report non payment?

No human being has the ability to see the future and provide other human beings with accurate outcomes.

That said, you purportedly sent a service person a broken device.

The item was returned to you in working condition.

Why don't you pay the service person for taking your brick and returning it to you in working condition?

As has been suggested, negotiate, don't try to get something for nothing.

Your issue is about equity, not legality.

Think it over.

Do the right thing.

It was a bose aviation headset. They wanted $300 to fix them. I said that was not in my budget and I declined to have them fix and said just mail them back. When I got them back they were repaired. Now he wants me to send them back to undo the repairs or pay full price for the said repairs.

It was a bose aviation headset. They wanted $300 to fix them. I said that was not in my budget and I declined to have them fix and said just mail them back. When I got them back they were repaired. Now he wants me to send them back to undo the repairs or pay full price for the said repairs.
Tell them no.

One of those headsets that cost around $1000?

If it wasn't fixed you'd be sitting with a $1000 paper weight.

Stop whining and send them the money.
I suppose it's possible that only a portion of it isn't working, while leaving the headset itself still usable as a headset.
(I'm thinking along the lines of the iPhone input jack failing [as an example], while leaving the headset itself usable.)

I suppose it's possible that only a portion of it isn't working, while leaving the headset itself still usable as a headset.
(I'm thinking along the lines of the iPhone input jack failing [as an example], while leaving the headset itself usable.)

Not with this. With the exception of the mike alone not working (it is replaceable by the user) if the rest isn't working it is just an expensive set of ear muffs.

Not with this. With the exception of the mike alone not working (it is replaceable by the user) if the rest isn't working it is just an expensive set of ear muffs.
I can see some other points of failure that wouldn't necessarily cause it to be unusable, but you're probably right. I suspect the headset is unusable without the repair.

Back