Divorce questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

abigorbot

I currently live in Georgia but was married in Pennsylvania. I separated from my husband (not legally) before 2001. I've read on sites that if you have been separated from your husband for more than three years then it is considered an uncontested divorce. Also, He has broken off all contact with me since 2001 and I have no way to contact him now. I've thought about sending him papers but I've read that if the other party does not respond in a certain amount of time it's considered uncontested in PA. We have no children or assets together.

That is not true. You must go through a standard divorce. You must make an attempt to locate him and serve him with papers. It is possible you could divorce him by default if he cannot be located but it would require that you place an ad in the paper, etc. as proof you have attempted to locate him.

Your best bet is to see an attorney on how to proceed if he cannot be located.

If you don't know where he is, you have to run an ad in the paper (I think you have to have help from an attorney) in the last town you knew he lived. If he doesn't respond within a certain time the judge will grant your divorce. I don't think you have to have an attorney to have the divorce, just to help with the ad. Some lawyers have free consultations and others just charge a small fee to answer questions. You could make an appointment and ask one if you need him to help with the ad or if you can do it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back