District Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

ginny_west

District court with no representaion, boy am I gonns have fun. Our caase was won in civil court and it was a jury of six that unamously voted our case, and unamously voted the defendant nothing. First I want to know that I will not act improperly in court. Minding the fact that I am not illeterate, and I do have proper manners. Other than that my case stands alone. I need the particulars of proper addression of the judge, as not to be disrectful. Any clus would be greatly appreciated.
Ginny

District court with no representaion, boy am I gonns have fun. Our caase was won in civil court and it was a jury of six that unamously voted our case, and unamously voted the defendant nothing. First I want to know that I will not act improperly in court. Minding the fact that I am not illeterate, and I do have proper manners. Other than that my case stands alone. I need the particulars of proper addression of the judge, as not to be disrectful. Any clus would be greatly appreciated.
Ginny

Okay, this is just common sense.
You'll be given clues as to when to speak, stand, and shut up.

Address the judge as, "your honor", "sir", or "ma'am".

Address opposing counsel as, "counselor", "Mr. Jones", "Mrs. Brown".

Never address a juror, but you can address the jury, "ladies and gentlemen of the jury".

You'll be given a chance to give opening remarks, prepare them in advance.

This is the theory of your case.

Tell the jury and the judge what you will prove and how you will prove it.

Whenever you address the judge, always stand.

If you make objects, rise and say, "Objection, your honor, leading", "Objection, your honor, relevance".
Announce your object, acknowledge the judge, and state the objection, no speaking objections or argument, just "Objection, your honor, badgering." If the judge wants more, he'll inquire. Then you elaborate. Allow opposing counsel time to respond. If opposing counsel objects to something you've done, wait until he/she has stopped talking, and respond, "Your honor, ---the reason here----." Sometimnes, if you'll wait, the judge will rule. So, always pause. The judge says over rules, you can keep talking. The judge says, sustained, you'll be directed and you move on.

If the judge wants to speak with you (and not have the gallery or jury hear, you'll be told to approach. Only do so when directed, or when you ask, "Judge, may I/we approach?" If and when you do, be formal and brief.

I can't teach you trial practice, but this is the basics.

The court will have its rules posted on its website.

The rules are helpful, so look for 226th District Court, Cowabunga, TX (or the number of the court and city).

Finally, business dress attire.
Men wear suit & tie, not sport coat & tie; but suit & tie (conservative suit & colors).

Women, wear business dress attire (suit, dress, but business dress, not casual).

In what court and and what date will you be performing?

City & state, please?

I may know the judge.

The judge knows you're not a lawyer.

You don't have to behave as a lawyer would, just use common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back