disputing and appealing a DWS in IN/ IL

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpierce314

Last year I got a speeding ticket in Indiana. I mailed payment and assumed the issue was taken care of. 8 Months later i was pulled over again in Indiana, and informed that my liscense was suspended. I inquired as to why, they said they didn't know, only that it was suspended. So they impounded my car. After some research, i discovered that the first ticket was never paid. I don't know if it was a clerical error or what. But I received no notification that the ticket was not paid, and no notification that my license was suspended, since the court where I received the first ticket recorded my address incorrectly. The woman I spoke with on the phone basically told me that they weren't required to notify me. So my first question is, is it required by law that individuals must be notified if their license is suspended?

I have tried to dispute the charges on this basis, but have had additional problems. Namely, the county where I received the DWS also got my address wrong, and so I didn't receive the notice to appear in court until four days before the date, which made it impossible for me to go, since I live 3 1/2 hours away and Chicago (and have an IL license by the way). I tried to reschedule and she said that was impossible and that she would have to cancel the trial. The town is very small and frustrating, and I can only talk to this one woman who is endlessly frustrating. She told me that since driving with a suspended license was a "no-brainer" I couldn't dispute it. So, my second question is, is there a way for me to appeal to a higher court on this? The speeding ticket may be valid, but I never would have gotten a DWS had I been properly notified of their MISTAKE and had a chance to resolve it. Even now they can't manage to get my name and address correct, and their (handwritten) correspondence comes too late for me to do anything about it.

Thanks so much for your help,

Drew

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back