Disputing a collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgd736k2

Started Brooklyn College in the spring of 2009. I had to bring in several documents to prove my residency. Brought in all but one so the designated residency official at the school granted me Temporary In-State Tuition status. This status was changed at the end of the semester.
by the end of the semester I owed the school $5000 and i had no way of paying them. the school granted me financial aid for an in-state tuition amount so i had no possible way of paying the school.

Furthermore, I am a student who is categorically in need according to my fafsa so the institution knew that i was in fact incapable of paying this changed tuition without help from financial aid. Of course at that point i couldnt change my financial aid status to reflect the tuition change. I appealed the school and was denied.

They have now sent it to collection. I called the collection company and stated i want to dispute. they said forward any material i will use to counter the school's decision to them, and they will send it to the school. My problem is the school denied my appeal already. what are my options?

You have two options: pay the debt, or ignore the debt.

If you pay, your problems go away.

If you ignore the debt, things will get worse yet.

One day in the future you'll expect an IRS refund,
These creeps will snatch it like a sticky bun!

You aren't going to get anywhere with an appeal... not with that argument.
You signed on and agreed to pay. Consider getting a personal loan with payment terms you can manage to pay off the outstanding student loan.
Otherwise, don't expect to get any more financial aid so long as you have student loans in collections.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back