Dispute for the telephone bill.

Nomikon

Jurisdiction
United Kingdom
My problem is really simple and I am posting here to get a third unbiased opinion. I rent a house for which I pay both the broadband and the Telephone line rental bills (I have already paid both bills as a part of my rent. I have been using the telephone to make international calls believing that the cost of the calls is included in the price of the telephone line rental (Which is 48 BP per month). However the landlord has contacted me, asking me to pay the Telephone bill. He has sent me a paper with the bill, which also mentions that the Telephone Line Rental includes the following:
-Unlimited Weekend Calls
-Broadband Unlimited
-Line Rental Plus
However the Package did not cover my international calls. The point I would like to make is that I was not explained from the Landlord what does the package includes, and as a result I was believing that my calls where free. I now must pay hundreds of pounds to cover the bill. Had I known that the cost of my calls is not included , I wouldn't use my telephone. My question to you is if from a legal perspective, I am liable for the bill, since it was not clarified to me what does the package of Telephone Line Rental of BT includes.
Any replies will be highly appreciated

This website ONLY discusses the laws of the USA, her states, and her territories.

My question to you is if from a legal perspective, I am liable for the bill, since it was not clarified to me what does the package of Telephone Line Rental of BT includes.

Judge is correct that this site is devoted to US law. However, the answer to your question is rather universal.

Read your lease. What, exactly, does it say about the phone service? Quote it word for word or upload a copy of the lease.

Based on your description I suspect you are fully responsible for the cost of the calls. You should have verified if international calling was included in the cost before making the calls.

Back