Criminal Law Disorderly Conduct and Naturalization

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry_1999

Hi,

I am on green card for six years and would like to be naturalized. Recently I was arrested for minor shoplifting. This is my only offense. I have requested the attorney's office to charge me for a lesser crime to avoid complications to my immigrant status. One suggestion is to charge me under disorderly conduct, which I will plead guilty to, be put on probation for six months, at the end of which my guilty plea will not be accepted but the case will be dismissed.

Will this scenario create any complications when I apply for naturalization? If I apply for naturalization after the case is dismissed, can I be considered "convicted of a crime" under INA §101(a)(48)? How soon can I apply for naturalization once I plead guilty? Is there any other scenario of charges that will satisfy the legal process but further decrease the possibility of future complications?

I am really scared and will be grateful to receive some legal perspective.

While this generally sounds good to me you should consult an immigration attorney and get his input on this after reviewing the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back