Discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua

This is a much longer story made short(er):
I have been medically documented as being chemically sensitive. I taught in a classroom that did not bother me and was told to use a computer room as well. When they redid the computer room, I was bothered by the chemicals in it, told my supervisor, and was excused from using that room. In the meantime, I was being sexually harassed and reported it to my supervisor's supervisor because the problem was with a friend of my supervisor. I did not intend for it to go beyond the administration, but it was reported to the central office and the offender got a reprimand.
Years passed and, though the computer room seemed to lose most of toxic chemicals that probably out-gassed from the plastics and new rug, it still made me (and others who were afraid to say so) sick to be in there and I suspected mold. When the administration changed, the sexual harasser was able to convince the new administrator that he had been wronged and the retaliation was to order me to use the computer room even though I told them that it made me sick.
I presented documentation that was ignored and was fired. An arbitrator told my union-appointed lawyer that she could tell there was "nothing wrong with" me and I should not have the arbitration hearing. I insisted on the hearing so she lied in her reporting of the details of the case and ruled against me. "My" lawyer lied to me, too, and, though he agreed that she misrepresented the case, he said they never challenged the arbitrators because they didn't want to anger them. The entire union legal department refused to appeal her decision.
I then went to NY Department of Human Rights and while that case was being considered, the administration did what I had asked: They checked under the carpeting in the computer room and found so much mold that no one was allowed to go in there without a respirator. The entire room was cordoned off and torn apart and it took weeks to remove the mold and asbestos that they found there.
Though it was in the written presentation of my case that got me the hearing, I'm not sure the judge read that and she cut me off before I could tell her that they had done what I asked and found toxic elements in the room that would make anyone sick. She has also ruled against me.
I do not know if I have any way(s) left to fight this extremely unfair ruling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back