Discrimination or cuvil rights violated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph

Thank you for taking an interest and reading my thread.
Please read the whole argument so that you get a clear picture of why I am asking the question I ask.

I am an American citizen, graduate of Bologna University medical School in Italy, and licensed to practice medicine in all of Europe. A few years back, I took an exam called FMGEMS ( Foreign Medical Graduate Examination in Medical Sciences) which consists of 2 parts: Basic Sciences and Clinical Sciences. This exam is a required to enter a residency program in an American hospital. It was NOT the same exam ALL US medical students took. I was not allowed to take the same exam the US medical students take, though I am a US citizen.
My question:Is this discrimination or were my civil rights violated?

Now I did pass the Basic Sciences part of the exam, and it just happened to be, that they were going to start giving the same exams the US medical students take. I had 3 months to study for the clinical part, but was so stressed out, because they told me if I didn't pass that part, my basic sciences exam, which I studied hard for and passed, would no longer be valid. Well I tried the exam and missed it by a few points. BTW, since the AMA is a business, they mark the test on a curve... so if to many pass the exam, then there will be to many doctors. They can pass as many as they want. Anyway, I lost all interest in general medicine and became more interested in natural health. I studied at various schools, and now I am Naturopathic Physician (N.D.) licensed in Washington D.C., nutritionist, herbalist, graduate of the clinical training program in Behavioral medicine at Harvard Medical school, as well as a bi-vocational assistant pastor at a Baptist church. However, I have been working as a substitute teacher for many years, because NJ doesn't license Naturopaths. I also am a certified chaplain and do Biblical, Christian counseling, but there is no work here either, since I cannot accept insurance coverage.

So, I have an M.D., N.D., and I am substituting now only a few days a week, since everyone unemployed is doing it now as a source of temporary income.

You can see why this exam has caused me much aggravation. If I had the same exam from the beginning, I would have passed the exam, I would be licensed, and I could practice as a wellness counselor and nutritionist, accept insurance and I would have no problem. I heard that the AMA says they gave us that exam to see if we are competent to work as physicians here in the US. However, my knowledge was measured on a different scale. I had copies of the exams the US students took and the pass rate would have been so high that the US would start closing medical schools.

It was not a question of comptency, but of COMPETITION!

BTW, I took a course which prepares foreign medical students for the exam, and the pharmacology professor siad even he would have a tough time taking the pharmacology part of the exam, and he teaches it in medical school.

Again, my question: is this dicrimination or were my civil rights violated.?

Thanks for your attention.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back