Discriminated because of gender

Status
Not open for further replies.

dixie105

I have worked for my employer since July of 2008. In Jan of 2009 I suffered a miscarriage from an unplanned pregnancy. This miscarriage caused me to miss two and a half weeks of work. I had numerous complications and was in and out of the hospital. I used my vacation and sick leave up. I went three days without pay. Never complained. When I returned, my employer has made several references to my being off. He is joking in his manner, like we are going to be on call, you aren't going to get sick. Or a coworker had a cold and he kept saying stay away from her. Well last week my son, 15 months, became sick. He was hospitalized. I missed another week of work. Knew I would not be paid. Stayed in contact with my employer. Yesterday upon returning to work, in front of coworkers at one of the hospitals (were in the medical field) he berated me. He said that I was unprofessional and disappointing. That he had a colleague tell him that's what I get for hiring a woman. He brought up the fact that I had already missed so much work the month before. He tried to bring others into this conversation, asking what would they do if their child was sick. I politely told him that what has happened to myself and my son over the past two months I did not ask for, want or would wish on anybody. I apologized. He continued on with more of the same. I am supposed to be a medical midlevel provider. We are supposed to have a trusting relationship. I feel that I was singled out. He never should have made the comment about my gender. Also he should have done this behind closed doors if he wanted to be professional. Every time he brings up my absence from last month, it brings up a very painful memory of exactly why I was gone. There is no compassion. I am quitting. I have a contract though. Do I possibly have legal action of discrimination?

Only a very weak one, if at all. A single comment is not sufficient to sustain a claim of discrimination, and he is allowed to be annoyed at the number and length of absences, regardless of the reason. You have not worked there long enough to have any protected medical leave for either your own or your child's illness.

Last edited:
yes you do still have rights, when is comes to pregnancy and the equal oppertunity act talk to human rresources about the issue. if you are worried about what will happen you can go through the eeoc to make you case and you will not be named.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back