Discriminated against?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick_Downey

I'll try to make this as breif and accurate as possible.

Basically, I feel that I have been descriminated against concerning a position that I applied for at the U.S. Embassy in Moscow, Russia last spring.

I am already employed here as a locally-hired American citizen, with the State Department, in a PIT position (temporary contract)in the Consular Section. I have been working here at the Embassy for over a year. The fact that I am locally-hired means that I do not have diplomat status, nor do I enjoy all the privelleges and benefits which that entails.

Sometime last spring (I can't remember exactly when), I applied for a position in the Embassy's Human Resources Department as an H.R. Assistant. The job was advertised as a Local-Hire position in and around the Embassy. To cut to the chase, I applied, interviewed and a week or so later, by chance, met with one of the two people present during my interview (who then held the actual position in question) who informed me that although I was "just as qualified as the other applicants, you aren't an elligible family member", (EFM for short, who, as family members of direct-hire State Dept. employees, are given preference when it comes to hiring. As far as I'm aware, this policy was enacted due to the fact that many Foreign Service employees were leaving the State. Dept. because their spouses could not find work when posted abroad). I then informed this lady that as a veteran, I was also entitled to a similar hiring preference. In response, the lady told me that a 'board' of some kind was going to convene in the near future to discuss the applicants, and that she would then bring up the fact with the board that I was a vet etc. Two weeks later, I was informed by the H.R. Dept. (in a letter written and signed by the lady mentioned above) that I was not given the job, as I was not qualified. The letter also went on to state how no-one else was given the postion, as no-one else was qualified - I hope that I'm being clear with this and that you're all still with me.

Anyway, to the best of my recollection, the job was advertised again for a little while before disappearing from various bulletin boards. I was under the impression that I might still be considered in the future. However, in July, we got a new ambassador and a couple of weeks later, I learned that the wife of the ambassador's staff aide was given the affore-mentioned position (on a temporary basis, I believe). Moreover, after meeting with her (a very nice lady), she informed me that she had NO EXPERIENCE in Human Resources/Personnel and that she was also offered a position in the Consular Section (a job I'd kill for), but that she wasn't interested in consular work. Now, perhaps I WASN'T qualified for the H.R. position at the end of the day, but if this is not an example of descrimination of some sort, I don't know what is.

I would be very thankful for any advice that anyone could give.

Sincerely,
Patrick Downey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back