Disabled adult not being properly cared for.

Jurisdiction
Virginia
I have an adult cousin who is mentally disabled and cannot care for himself. His elderly mother and guardian had an accident and suffered a traumatic brain injury. She survived but has been experiencing psychotic episodes. She is currently on an involuntary psych hold.
Prior to being committed she was verbally abusive and had the police and ems respond for my cousin on multiple occasions. He was taken to the hospital multiple times where he was left for hours and hours.
He needs to be removed from the situation but doesnt know any better. The people in the system give us the run around. Telling us its his choice when clearly hes not capable. And at the same time, from a different office, being told his mother has complete control and without her we cant do anything.
Our main concern is getting him represented in a matter he doesnt understand. He asks for help and to get away but then cannot tolerate any change in environment so stays.
If anyone can point me to case law in virginia regarding this situation, and or suggest a good attorney in virginia beach that deals with this type of law, id greatly appreciate it.

Back