1. Free Legal Help, Legal Forms and Lawyers. TheLaw.com has been providing free legal assistance online since 1995. Our most popular destinations for legal help are below. It only takes a minute to join our legal community!

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Social Security, Disability & Health' started by Zachary Dunaway, Jan 24, 2018.

  1. Zachary Dunaway

    Zachary Dunaway Law Topic Starter New Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    I got released around June 7th last year, was locked up in Colorado and got an interstate compact to Kentucky, currently living in Kentucky and on parole still. Having a hard time making it, can' get a job, cant find a place to live, and just having trouble financially and trying not to return to my old ways but it seems like that'. the only option and I don' want to think it is, this is my last resort right now. I was talking to a buddy of mine today and was telling him about my situation and he said that I should file for disability, he said I could file for disability because of my situation, I just wanted to know if that' true or not and if so what would I have to do.
  2. army judge

    army judge Super Moderator

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:

    Anyone can file for social security disability, SSDI or SSI

    You can do it yourself, or find a local lawyer who will do it on your behalf.

    If you choose a lawyer, it will cost you no money upfront.

    A lawyer who helps people file social security or SSI claims agrees to take no money from you up front.

    The lawyer gets a small percentage of what SS pays you, if you are approved.

    If you aren't approved, you pay NOTHING.

    You will undergo a medical exam, which will cost you NOTHING.

    SS pays for the exam on your behalf.

    Here is the link where you can read about it, or you need not do that, TOMORROW find a lawyer near you, make an appointment, discuss your claim, the lawyer will do the heavy lifting.

    I've assist people in my state, former felons, pro bono.
    I work with my church to help people who have stumbled get back on track.

    I can't help you, because you don't live in my state.

    I'll be happy to answer a couple fo questions after you get started with a lawyer from time to time.

    I applaud you for trying to pick yourself up, trying to go straight, to avoid being returned to prison.

    Your parole officer will also help his or her clients who are trying to go straight.

    Don't be afraid to ask your parole officer for help.

    The link:

    If you are ready to apply now, you can:
    Complete your application online.

    Disability Planner: How You Apply

    Call our toll-free telephone number 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call us at TTY 1-800-325-0778.
    Call or visit your local Social Security office.

    The SSA's Listing of Impairments is generally broken down by bodily system or function. There are separate lists for adults and children under the age of 18. For adults, the medical conditions that qualify for SSDI or SSI include:

    Listing of Impairments - Adult Listings (Part A)

    Musculoskeletal problems, such as back conditions and other dysfunctions of the joints and bones
    Senses and speech issues, such as vision and hearing loss
    Respiratory illnesses, such as asthma and cystic fibrosis
    Cardiovascular conditions, such as chronic heart failure or coronary artery disease
    Digestive tract problems, such as liver disease and inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
    Neurological disorders, such as multiple sclerosis, cerebral palsy, Parkinson's disease, and epilepsy
    Blood disorders, such as sickle cell disease or hemophilia
    Mental disorders, such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, autism, or intellectual disability
    Immune system disorders, such as HIV/AIDS, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and kidney disease

    More information:

    What Medical Conditions Qualify for Social Security Disability or SSI?
  3. ElleMD

    ElleMD Well-Known Member

    Likes Received:
    Trophy Points:
    Well first of all, you would have to be disabled. Are you? If so, is that disability the reason you are having trouble finding work? Or are you unable to find work because of your recent incarceration?

Share This Page