Disability insurance pre-existing condition

mich1215

when it comes to a short term diasability policy and they state a pre-existing condition is anything you have received treatment, medical advice or a condition in which any prudent person would seek medical help for in the last 12 months. I filled out something on the dr. website asking what i should do and if there was anything they could even do since i am pregnant. The web page had a disclaimer stating: "We will do our best to respond to your question. By submitting your email, you agree that an electronic communication with XXXXXXXX XXXXX & XXXXX ("XXX") does not constitute a patient/physician relationship, and you agree to hold XXX harmless, whether you receive a reply or not.

Please understand that a reply does not constitute a diagnosis – that can only be accomplished, in-person, with a qualified physician.Thank you."

Someone from the office called me and asked what was going on so i told her my symptoms. She then stated she will talk to the doctor and call me back. She also told me she was putting it in my chart that she talked to me since they were giving me medical advice. Later she left a voicemail stating the dr said we can get you in on monday.

Can that really be considered medical advice? In this instance my policy wont cover any herniated disc injury but im not sure if thats whats going on or if its just a leg muscle injury? I previously had surgery to repair a herniated disc about 3 1/2 yrs ago and aside from the phone call have had no mention of back issues. Thanks.

I redacted the name of the provider.
Names aren't necessary to ask your question.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to ask your insurance related questions of your insurer.

Your medical questions should be asked of your physician.

I dont need an answer to a medical question. I was just trying to see if a phone call where i explain symptoms and receive a voicemail stating the dr said you can come to the office monday would be considered me receiving medical advice or not? She didn't even say the dr said you should come in she said you can come in. The rest was just to better explain my question.

You did seek medical advice (explained symptoms....) so agree that yes, it can be.

Yep, you had the condition, knew you did (even if you didn't have a full diagnosis), contacted a medical professional for advice, and your doctor was well aware. Had you no idea there was anything wrong and not experienced any symptoms but experienced a sudden onset of a condition which had been brewing under the surface for a long time, that would be different.

Back