Disability Discrimination

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

I recently requested permission to install a ramp for my disabled mother to enter with ease and safety the unit I rent and she just moved back in. This motel I have been at since November without missing a weekly payment. This place has absolutely no disability accommodations at all. Even lies to disabled people telling them no rentals available when multiple are. Denied my request, issued a 10 day notice, and tried to raise my rent I retaliation. Have filed formal complaints with the Arizona Attorney Generals Office and the United States Department of Justice. Question is, I have a legal right to install this ramp for my mother who is bound to a wheelchair or walker always yet management denied my request to put one in; can I put one in anyways? Because this is a motel and falls under title III OF THE ADA, and AZ law allows me to charge the owner for minor work under 300 dollars, charge the owner for installation? My mother really needs this installed asap. The kicker is my younger brother served this country for 18 months in the Army in Iraq and they are pulling this. Any help appreciated. Thanks and God bless.

Hold on just one second. Some buildings that were built prior to the establishment of the ADA as a law have been exempted. What makes you think you have a legal right to install a ramp on someone else's property?

I suspect that if you install a ramp you will promptly find it removed, will not be compensated for your expense, and you will accelerate your eviction.
You have already been given notice. It is easier to remove you from a weekly motel rental than a regular apartment.
If you want to stay you should find a way to work with the owners rather than against them.

A motel is not required to allow ADA accommodations in the manner an apartment landlord is. Further, even if you could argue it is an apartment, installation and removal of modifications must be paid for by the tenant under Federal law. I suspect the landlords version will involve concrete and cost more than the $300 AZ law provides, due to liability. They are not required in common area usually as "reasonable" for one tenant.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out why the brother serving in Iraq was mentioned.

Right! Just because your brother served in Iraq doesn't mean the owner has to take that into consideration though we all do thank him for his service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back