Dirty Clothes

D

Doug in PA

Jurisdiction
Pennsylvania
Last week my downstairs neighbor called the landlord to complain about when I do laundry sometimes. I leave my house a 5am and get back between 7-8 pm. Sometimes I put clothes in the wash at night after work and dry them in the am while getting ready. The landlord told me no more laundry before 8am or after 9pm. Can he legally dictate this? It was not mentioned in the lease and doesn't break any local laws. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The landlord told me no more laundry before 8am or after 9pm. Can he legally dictate this?

Yes.

You are disturbing another tenant late at night and before 5 AM (yikes) so the landlord is within his rights to adjust the rules to prevent that kind of disturbance.

You've no right to run those machines while people are trying to sleep.

The more you disturb other tenants, the more likely you are to be evicted.

Schedule your laundry for the weekend or take your laundry with you and drop it off at a laundry service.

Yes plus it is always best not to cause any problems with your neighbors or landlord.

So when I switch to working night shift, 5pm till 9 or 10 am, do they need to alter their routines just because I'm sleeping?
I guess I always thought if one doesn't want to hear their neighbors, they need to buy a house and be on their own.
It's not like I plan on doing laundry at these hours. Rarely does it happen, but when it does, it's because something is needed. Not because that's the most convenient time for me.
I guess it just seems like a double standard to me.

So when I switch to working night shift, 5pm till 9 or 10 am, do they need to alter their routines just because I'm sleeping?
I guess I always thought if one doesn't want to hear their neighbors, they need to buy a house and be on their own.
It's not like I plan on doing laundry at these hours. Rarely does it happen, but when it does, it's because something is needed. Not because that's the most convenient time for me.

It's not about when you sleep, mate.
It's about when the majority of society slumbers.
Most cities have anti-noise ordinances that prohibit unnecessary noise during certain hours of the day, normally after 8:00 or 9:00 PM until 5:00 or 6:00 AM.

Our planet is a big place, mate, so these laws allow us all to get along with minimum disruptions to the lives of others.

Excellent point. At that time you'll have the right to complain about their noise. Although the landlord will take the position that they are creating noise during "normal" hours. Common walls/floors are almost as bad as having a roommate; it rarely works out for either party for any length of time. Get out if you can.

I plan on it. It's not like I'm running the washer at 4 am, it's the dryer. Honestly, how loud can it be. I'm not drying sneakers, just clothes I would need for work that day.

Back