different 1st name on social security card and birth certificate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennie

I have had problems most of my life because my social security card and my birth certificate have 2 different first names on it. because of this matter i have not been able to get a new identification card or a florida drivers licence, a bank account, a job or anything, its been really difficult.

When i was a teenager my parents took me to get my social security card in ohio i believe, (at the time it wasn't required for me to have one as a child). Although on my birth certificate it says a different first name, my family has always reffered to me as "jennie" so when we went to get my social security card at the social security office my parents asked the attendant if i was able to apply with the name jennie instead and she says that was not a problem, so we did.

I was never really aware that the name of my birth certificate was different than my social security card until my parents separated and my mother gave me all my paperwork before she left; for most of my life i never saw this to be a problem.

when i was 19 my family tried to get out passports but i was refused because of this matter. they told me to go to the social security office and apply for a new social security card. When i went to the social security office here in florida and i tried to explain my situation to the attendant i was told i did not have enough information available. i had been, along with my siblings, home schooled all my life until i was 18 but i never applied or got a a high school diploma or anything.

i was only able to get an identification card once about 10 years ago, but when it expired and i tried to renew i was told i couldn't get one because the names where different on both my birth certificate and my social security card, and i was told by the FL dmv attendant that the social security i had was void.

i looked online on the requirements to get a social security card and its a catch 22 i can't get one thing without the other. i have the evidence of age but not the evidence of identity (As proof of your identity, you must provide either a U.S. driver's license; or U.S. State-issued non-driver identity card; or U.S. passport) this journey has been altogether very difficult, as my father gets older i am truly scarred that i will end up on the street because of all this. is there anything i can do? ..

jennie, FL.

You can establish identity for a passport by taking two people to the passport office that can provebtheir identity. They swear that you ate indeed you, and prove they are who that say they are; and you get a passport.

School, medical, insurance, etc... cann all be used to get social security to get your card changed.

You could also get your name changed LEGALLY in a court and then change your social insecurity infomation, getting a proper card.
I'd work the latter route first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can establish identity for a passport by taking two people to the passport office that can provebtheir identity. They swear that you ate indeed you, and prove they are who that say they are; and you get a passport.

School, medical, insurance, etc... cann all be used to get social security to get your card changed.

You could also get your name changed LEGALLY in a court and then change your social insecurity infomation, getting a proper card.
I'd work the latter route first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for your suggestions.

regarding the passport, when i went to my local office to get it they put everything in an envelope and sent it of to the main office down in Miami and i denied because i didn't have substantial information, although at the time i had provided them with what seemed like enough, the only thing i could think of is the social security card issue. where did you hear about establishing your identity having 2 people swear you are who you are, when i tried to get my passport at 19, i went with my parents at the time and they didn't mention it, although that was a long time ago.

and if i get my name changed on my birth certificate, you receive a new corrected birth certificate right? would i have to visit PA to get this done? and although my name will then match with my social security card, how will that work if its 'voided'. (i was told by the dmv attendant that it was, not sure if that is correct)

also,the only problem with trying to get a new social security card is proof of identity which is either a drivers licence, passport or valid id card, or if you don't have those you can use health insurance card, employee id card, us military card, or certified medical records maintained by the medical provider.

all things that i don't have (or can't get b/c lack thereof), the only thing that is questionable would be medical records, would one visit be enough for medical documentation? i have gone to the hospital for surgery once before and another visit to a different walk in clinic, does that count?

thanks again, i really appreciate your help.

You have to go in person to a passport agency, NOT a post office or circuit court office.

The person or persons that are going to vouch for you, must also be present with you.

They are required to PROVE their identity, and swear to yours.

A social insecurity card is not required for passport issuance.

Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit
If you were born in the United States and cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, you may submit Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit as additional evidence of your U.S. citizenship. You may be requested to submit Early Public Records when submitting Form DS-10: Birth Affidavit. The birth affidavit:

• Must be notarized
  • Must be submitted in person with Form DS-11
  • Must be submitted together with early public records
  • Must be completed by an affiant who has personal knowledge of birth in the U.S.
  • Must state how the affiant's knowledge was acquired
  • Should be completed by an older blood relative

NOTE: If no older blood relative is available, the affiant may be the attending physician or any other person who has personal knowledge of the birth

Early Public Records

If you were born in the United States and cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, you may submit a combination of early public records as evidence of your U.S. citizenship. Early public records must be submitted together with a birth record or Letter of No Record (see below). Early public records should show your name, date of birth, place of birth, and preferably be created within the first five years of your life. Examples of early public records are:

* Baptismal certificate
* Hospital birth certificate
* Census record
* Early school record
* Family bible record
* Doctor's record of post-natal care

Early Public Records are not acceptable when presented alone.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/Secondary Evidence/Secondary Evidence_4315.html

Last edited:
If you cannot present primary evidence of U.S. citizenship, you must submit secondary evidence of U.S. citizenship. Determine what form of secondary evidence is most appropriate for your situation based on the descriptions below. Each application is handled on a case-by-case basis. The scenarios below are intended as general guidance.

When applying for a U.S. passport in person, evidence of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with Form DS-11. All documentation submitted as citizenship evidence will be returned to you. These documents will be delivered with your newly issued U.S. passport or in a separate mailing.

Primary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (One of the following):

• Previously issued, undamaged U.S. Passport
  • Certified birth certificate issued by the city, county or state*
  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Certificate of Citizenship

*A certified birth certificate has a registrar's raised, embossed, impressed or multicolored seal, registrar's signature, and the date the certificate was filed with the registrar's office, which must be within 1 year of your birth. Please note, some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes.

NOTE: If you do not have primary evidence of U.S. citizenship or your U.S. birth certificate does not meet the requirements, please see Secondary Evidence of U.S. Citizenship.

http://travel.state.gov/passport/get/first/first_830.html

You can also visit, write, or call your either of your US Senators or your US Representative.
Explain your problem, and they can also be of assistance in getting red tape cut for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back