Did I commit fraud ?

J

jlabruno

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi,

I play a virtual game called world of Warcraft. I have played for 12 years and have multiple accounts. Occasionally I sell some of the accounts if I am not going to play them anymore. In 2014 I sold an account for $165 and stopped playing the game. about 4 months later I returned to the game and had trouble getting into one of my accounts and thought maybe it was hacked so I contacted the company who makes the game and they gave me back my account. I did not realize because I had many accounts at the time I was taking back the account I sold. HOWEVER the company who bought my account never emailed me or said anything to me to mention that I took back an account I sold to them. So I even more so did not think I took back access to the account I sold. A few days ago I was planning to sell another one of my accounts and without knowing it I tried to sell it to the same company as 2014. The company owner flipped out on me and said I scammed him and committed fraud in 2014. I told him I did no such thing and if I took back the wrong account I did not realize it and would gladly if he provided proof such as a recipe that shows the transaction I would make it right as it was an honest mistake. This gentlemen though is hell bent on making an example of me he says he even ran a background check on me and said he does not want the money he wants to prosecute me to the best of his abilities. Can he really do this ? I saved all emails I sent about 3 to 4 offering to make it right if he provides me a recipe and a formal letter of an agreement. He seems to want me to pay. He sees 20 years ago I had something on my record and wants me In jail. What can he do about this in all reality? And for the sake of this post his company is in North Carolina, I live in PA but in 2014 I lived in NJ

Thanks

What can he do about this in all reality?

It doesn't matter what anyone does, only what you DO, mate.
Immediately STOP discussing this, explaining it, or even listening to anything about it.
You have NO CONTROL over what others do.
You can control what you do.

So, if the authorities contact you, you simply say, "I invoke under advice of counsel. I have nothing to say about that matter, except that I will remain silent."

Then, no matter what, you SHUT YOUR YAPPER.

That's the bets thing you can do, never explain, comment, or try to excuse.

Also, no need to be curious, as YOU KNOW what was done and when.
However, the only way that can ever be revealed, is if you open your mouth.

My guess is that he's blowing smoke.

I can't see where you committed any fraud. Fraud usually requires intent and there was none.

However, I don't know why you need him to document anything if you already know that you took back the account you sold him. Maybe asking him for proof of something you admitted you did is what pissed him off.

Here is what I don't understand - did you not have any record of which accounts you sold? Asking him for proof that you sold him this account would probably get him understandably furious and agree wholeheartedly with @adjusterjack . The problem with what you describe is that it happens all too often and there is great fraud that does occur when it comes to World of Warcraft accounts, without a bad word about Blizzard (I loved Diablo - at least the first two.) In fact my credit card was sold to someone who used them to pay for WoW accounts. I don't know about fraud for the same reason but you've certainly put yourself in murky territory. You're probably best by trying to make right as soon as possible and hoping the rabble goes away.

My user name for some reason was no longer working so I had to register again? I did offer with proof that I did receive money from him to make it right but he told me he wants to make an example of me and go after me. So I saved all my emails should I need them to show to any judge or prosecutor.

All you can do is wait and see.

If he did fill out a police report how would it work do they investigate to see if they feel they should proceed and then let him know? And how will I find out I am in Pennsylvania? I looked around and for $165 that is a mistemenor charge? Sorry for misspelling

If he did fill out a police report how would it work do they investigate to see if they feel they should proceed and then let him know?

Yes.

And how will I find out

The police will look you up.

They will either question you or arrest you, or both.

In either case you would be wise to exercise your right to remain silent.

If all they have is the guy's ranting they may have no case to prosecute. But if you answer any question you might give them their case.

The way that happens is explained in the following video.

Yes.

The police will look you up.

They will either question you or arrest you, or both.

In either case you would be wise to exercise your right to remain silent.

If all they have is the guy's ranting they may have no case to prosecute. But if you answer any question you might give them their case.

The way that happens is explained in the following video.

Thank you for the help. I guess I have to sit back and see. I would be really hurt if I was arrested over $165 accident. I tried my best to talk to him but since he wont respond I am going to let it be. Just sucks I could be sitting around for months then get a visit at anytime. Its almost like he is holding me prisoner

I doubt you'll be arrested but that's not our decision nor is it the buyer's decision. That is up to the district attorney as to whether you should be charged with a crime. He can also choose to sue you in court for civil damages although that too is also doubtful. Bottom line - does he have his account back? If he does then damages should be minimal. You'll still have to play the waiting game.

He does not have the account back as he never contacted me when I took the account back in 2014. The account which I was the original owner of has been closed by world of Warcraft. I spoke to them and they said we both violated the terms of use and banned the account. So nobody has the account now. its closed. Back in 2014 he did not keep the account anyway he bought it from me he says and then he resold it as he runs a site that buys and sells accounts. A public site which is weird since blizzard frowns upon that.

I thought I remembered something about not being able to sell a World of Warcraft account. One reason is because most gaming sites don't want to deal with the hassles of being put in the middle of transfers of sale for these accounts. There is much fraud with accounts and I had to have my credit card canceled because somehow someone was using my credit card to fund two WoW accounts. I believe the same goes for Pokemon Go even though a woman supposedly quit her job to sell Pokemon Go accounts. So I took a look at the World of Warcraft Terms of Service:

4. Blizzard Entertainment does not recognize the transfer of Accounts, and any unauthorized transfer of the World of Warcraft software will result in the permanent deletion of the Account attached to that software. You may not offer any Account for sale or trade, and any such offer:

So he also has a business of selling accounts and the person to whom he sold the account is demanding justice and he's come back to your door. This is remarkably ironic. I doubt that this gentleman is prosecuting you to the full extent of the law. You couldn't sell the account during the first sale. And he would come into court or to the authorities with "unclean hands" if, as you say, he has a business of selling the accounts to which he could not perform. And apparently it may have already been known to both of you that you can't legally sell Blizzard World of Warcraft accounts - but it's done anyway since Blizzard doesn't have to know and most of the time everything works out fine.

Back