Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft detained in IL for shoplifting

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasthope

Was detained in shop for shoplifting last week for $25 worth of merchandise. the guy came after me outside and told me to go to the back. he didnt call the police, but just took my id, he did not took a picture (i didnt see him doing that) but i know he had in his computer. i saw him putting down my information in paper and the items value. He made me sign 2 papers . I said i would like to talk to my lawyer before signing he said this is not criminal charge ,we arent calling the police and no report is getting fillied.

He gave me copy of "notice" which says Most state permit to recover civil monetary damages and possible penalities....You may son receive a letter from our Reovery Department which will explain the damage of Civil damges..

Then said he was going to let me go and said .. i am not allow to go to any of that store anymore or else its trespassing .
sorry i was really scared and out of it and couldnt think straight. I dont want anyone to know about this because i feel so embarrassed. i am over 28. how much do you think the bill will be around? how long will it take for them to send it to me? and what's going to happen now? will anything worse happen after they send the bill or whatsoever? please help.. i need all the help i can get. im so terrified right now, i dont know what to do!scared .I trust this site advice ...pl guide me.

The letter is "Civil Demand" and can arrive in days, weeks even months. Since no Police were called and no plans ot do so this will be over once you pay Civil Demand

Thankyou for the reply ! After going through lot of cases ,i found they even open criminal case after the fine is paid... As they did not call the police and told me they are not reporting (i dont know if they say is true or just to make me sign ) ....
1. whats the time frame they can still open CRIMINAL CASE.
2. Is Civil Demand letter sent by court / law firm ?

1. whats the time frame they can still open CRIMINAL CASE.
About one year
2. Is Civil Demand letter sent by court / law firm ?
Law firm

I need to leave the country after a month for 2 month if i dont get the letter what should i do..?
Is there any way one could find if they plan to fill criminal case or not ?
I am worried that if in my absence something comes up ...i'll be stuck ?

If the letter comes and your not there to get it they will assume your ignoring it. This will not likely have good consequences for you. Have some one check your mail while your gone

Is it adviced to check with the police before leaving if there is any criminal case ? Or shld i call the corporate office of the retailer (Loss prevention) to check? Pl advice and thanks for all yr suggestions..its been really helpfull .

Calling store Loss Prevention might not get you answers they do not have to answer you. Ask the store for the number to their Civil Recovery service they will tell you status of Civil Demand. You can certainly call Police to see if a criminal file has been made, but since store has at least one year to do that you might be making a lot of calls

Is it common for shops to give all case to court (DA) or they choose based on the amount in Illion. I am very worried ..teh amount is just $ 25 but i dont not what will happen...

its been more than a month now so i called up Civil Recovery Dept but they say they have no such name on there list? i am confussed now . what shld i do ? even after issuing the Notice by shop , can they drop the charges against smoe one.

I was verbaly told not to come to the shop but in the notice they gave me metioned " no refund will be done without receipt."Is verbal communication done considered by LP suppose to be the guideline for tresspassing or Will they send another letter " how long i am banned from the shop". Is there a way i can find out how long i am banned from the chain ?

As a general rule when you are banned you get some paperwork. Without it its difficult to file tresspass if you enter store after ban. You should have been told how long ban was for at time but a simple call to store LP should get you that answer

Thanks for the all your response . I am wppried if i call the store LP wont it open up the case and they plan to file more charges against me . Or is it just fine to ask for such information.

They only asked me to sign 1 form with all my information and the item price and another was Notice for Civil demaned letter. They did not make me sign any tresspassing notice ,they just told me not to come again ever.

What is right question to ask to LP ( what shld i ask regarding tresspassing as i hv no written letter yet)and should i call the shop which I got notice from.

Call the store that stopped you an dissued the ban. Ask for LP. Give them your name and ask them to tell you how long ban was for as you forgot

The notice also said they may report this to Choice Point( credit reporting agency) for submission into the Esteem database. Does this mean it will impact my crdit score?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back