Destruction of Property Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

staygoldxx

I've recently gone through a break up w/ my (now ex) boyfriend of a few years. After we broke up, he changed the locks on our house (my name is still on the lease), blocked my number and refused to give me back thousands of dollars worth of my things which were boxed up in the basement. Over the weekend however, he left me a key to the house to get my things. When I entered, I saw that my boxes were opened, all of my things were being used around the house (entire kitchen sets, curtains, bathroom items, etc.). I saw that some of my things were damaged and in the heat of the moment, I poured bleach on his bed and cut up some of his shirts.

After seeing the damage to my things and being verbally threatened by him (over the phone once he saw the bleach on his things), I went to the State Commissioner to file a Peace Order against him but I was denied since the actions (him physically assaulting me) haven't taken place yet and a Peace Order is only is someone physically touches you, not for harrassment, threats or damage of property. They seemed to completely disregard the fact that he damaged my things first or that he threatened me.

What is the worst he could do to me legally for pouring bleach on his things? He said he "filed a police report", but I'm not sure exactly what that means/entails. Also, would I have a case against him since he locked me out of my house (I have already contacted the cops multiple times about this and they said since he wasn't home at the time of their visits, there was nothing they could do to get me in the house), used my things, stole some of my things (there were items missing from the boxes) and damaged some of my items?

I've recently gone through a break up w/ my (now ex) boyfriend of a few years. After we broke up, he changed the locks on our house (my name is still on the lease), blocked my number and refused to give me back thousands of dollars worth of my things which were boxed up in the basement. Over the weekend however, he left me a key to the house to get my things. When I entered, I saw that my boxes were opened, all of my things were being used around the house (entire kitchen sets, curtains, bathroom items, etc.). I saw that some of my things were damaged and in the heat of the moment, I poured bleach on his bed and cut up some of his shirts.

After seeing the damage to my things and being verbally threatened by him (over the phone once he saw the bleach on his things), I went to the State Commissioner to file a Peace Order against him but I was denied since the actions (him physically assaulting me) haven't taken place yet and a Peace Order is only is someone physically touches you, not for harrassment, threats or damage of property. They seemed to completely disregard the fact that he damaged my things first or that he threatened me.

What is the worst he could do to me legally for pouring bleach on his things? He said he "filed a police report", but I'm not sure exactly what that means/entails. Also, would I have a case against him since he locked me out of my house (I have already contacted the cops multiple times about this and they said since he wasn't home at the time of their visits, there was nothing they could do to get me in the house), used my things, stole some of my things (there were items missing from the boxes) and damaged some of my items?

He can file a criminal case against you.
That is most likely what he referenced in your conversation.
In the near future, a warrant will be issued for you for damaging his property.
Depending upon the alleged value of his property that he claimed you damaged, it might be a felony; but its at least a misdemeanor.

He'll also file a lawsuit against you in small claims court claiming you destroyed thousands of dollars of his precious "junk".
There is always a Renoir painting, a Rolex watch, or some such other rare and valuable commodity.
He'll have to prove what he alleges.

Bottom line, you're about to get it with both barrels.
You'll have criminal and civil lawsuits to address.

Maryland law says if you willfully destroy, injure, or deface the property of another; you can be charged with a crime.

If the property's value you damaged is less than $500, the charge is a misdemeanor.
It carries a potential 60 day jail sentence and $500 fine.

However, if the property's value is greater than $500, you can be sentenced to up to 3 years in prison and fines levied against you of $2,500.
This becomes a felony!
In MD, it is sometimes called a serious misdemeanor.
Whatever it is, it makes it much more serious.

The court usually requires you to pay for the damages you caused.
This is called restitution to the victim.
This is in addition to any fines you may have been ordered to pay.

Self help remedies always end with disastrous results.
Your tale of woe proves it once again.

You should STOP communicating with the "victim".
You should begin arranging an attorney.
You should also get access to bail money, because you KNOW he'll claim you damaged at least $1,000 of his junk!
You can call any bail agency and they give you an approximate cost for charges like these.

Finally, if you're arrested make no statement to the police.
Be polite, calm, and professional.
Giving the police a statement will NOT make this go away.
That is for the court room.
Give the police your name, address, and date of birth.
Then ask them to allow you to make a call to your attorney and/or bail bondsman.

So even if he changed the locks on our house, kept me from my things and destroyed my stuff, there's nothing I can do?

So even if he changed the locks on our house, kept me from my things and destroyed my stuff, there's nothing I can do?

I didn't say that.

You could have done a great deal.

In fact, according to your accounts; you did do something.

That something has you behind the proverbial eight-ball, now!

You went about it incorrectly, even illegally.

What you did is going to make BIGGER trouble for you, than it did for him.

You need a lawyer.

The train to do this correctly has left the station.

You got on the wrong train.

Now you need to get off that train and limit how much you get hurt.

Your actions placed the ball in his court.

You're waiting on his move.

In the meantime, you need a good criminal defense lawyer.

You have no proof of who did what to your stuff.

That stuff you lived without for a long time.

You need to worry about the criminal charges that could be looming in your future.

Hire a lawyer, ASAP.

Get your bail money ready, so you don't get stuck in jail for days or weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back