denied a raise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunnime5

Even though my annual evaluation was a good one, I was denied my annual raise.The reason given was that I did not accomplish my goal from last year by attending 8/12 staff meetings. I have repeatedly explained to my Department Head that I do not have daycare at the meeting times. Her suggestion was " Is't there some old grandma that would watch her for a while?" Our policy book only says that employees are paid for their attendance at departmental meetings. Employees will be paid for meetings they are required to go to. We recently had a required in-service. When I was not scheduled for any of them, I asked my Departmental Head why? Her reply was that I was working each time & I could watch the video. So much for equallity in the work place, she left 3 open shifts the last day of the in-service so staff could attend.

Did you have a question?

Q: Can they withhold a raise for their stated reason?

A: Yes; in fact, they can withhold it for no reason or any reason.

There is no law stating your employer has to give you a raise. So if you are unhappy you are free to look for another job.

Barring a bona fide contract or CBA that specifically guarantees raises at specific times, the ONLY time an employer is required by law to give you a raise is if minimum wage is raised by the appropriate legislative body and you are working below the new minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back