Defective or Unsafe Vehicle mistake

LeahSkye

Jurisdiction
Colorado
I was pulled over for speeding about a year ago. I was about 10 miles over the speed limit and was issued a $50 ticket which I paid uncontested. I went to get a new insurance quote a year later and was told I have a "defective vehicle" report on my record. THIS NEVER HAPPENED! The office said nothing about my vehicle, it was a simple speeding violation. They clearly chose the wrong violation when filing the paperwork. I confirmed this by requesting a formal copy of my driving record from the DMV and sure enough it's on there.

How do I fight this? It's causing me to pay higher insurance premiums.

I was pulled over for speeding about a year ago. I was about 10 miles over the speed limit and was issued a $50 ticket which I paid uncontested. I went to get a new insurance quote a year later and was told I have a "defective vehicle" report on my record. THIS NEVER HAPPENED! The office said nothing about my vehicle, it was a simple speeding violation. They clearly chose the wrong violation when filing the paperwork. I confirmed this by requesting a formal copy of my driving record from the DMV and sure enough it's on there.

Res Judicata, the matter rests, meaning its over.
You can't contest that which has been decided.
You CAN contact a lawyer in the state where the citation was issued and see if he/she can correct any administrative errors or oversights.

Good luck.

Ask your insurance company what you have to do to get the rates rolled back.

Maybe some sort of inspection report from a qualified mechanic that you can submit to the insurance company.

On the other hand if you admit that you were speeding instead of having a defective vehicle you'll probably still have the surcharge but it will be for the speeding ticket.

The office said nothing about my vehicle, it was a simple speeding violation.

Maybe you misunderstood what the insurance agent told you and it is the speeding violation which caused the insurance increase. That does tend to happen with speeding tickets.

Back