Defaulted on student loan that I never received

Status
Not open for further replies.

313tsk

I am a newly divorced, currently unemployed, 41 yr old single mother. Realizing I had no real employable skills, I enrolled in nursing school . I filled out my financial aid information (which I would obviously qualify for) with a school advisor and started classes. Midway through the semester, I was advised that I was denied financial aid due to a defaulted student loan. Over 20 years ago I moved from MI to NYC to attend a trade school. While still in MI preparing to move to NY, the financial aid advisor from the school "as a favor" filled out the paperwork so that I would be able to start school as soon as I arrived in NY. I completed 1 semester and had to move back to MI for family reasons. I was completely unaware that I had any loans, as I knew I had qualified for Pell grants etc. Before I left, I met with the advisor and told her to return any grant funds etc., as I would not be returning the next semester. I assumed she did so until 20 years later I find out I have a federal debt I knew nothing about. Apparently, the school received $1500 (from a NY Citibank loan) from the first semester, and $2500 for the second semester (which I never attended). After 20 years, fees, fines etc. the federal debt is now over $10,000. For months I have tried to communicate with the school (now under a different name), Citibank, the federal government, and the Dept. of Education, I can't get a human on the phone and no one will return my calls. I can't afford to pay for school and am in a panic regarding my financial future. Does anyone have any advice for me? I desperately want to go back to school but have no idea what my options are, if I have any at all. Thank you for your time.

Call your Congress human.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back