Default Judgement

JessieLeigh415

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
in 2014 a default judgement went against me. Papers were served to my parents house who I was estranged from at the time. I was living in a different town and was unaware of this judgement. The judgement is now 5 years old when I found out about it I called to see if they would offer me a settlement which they did of $880 but I had 30 days to pay it. I was unable to because I was seasonal and was getting laid off in 2 months. It is now 6 months later I have the $880 I called to see if I could settle for that amount they said they issued wage garnishment against me and would not be taking any offers. If they did a wage garnishment I will not be able to afford my apartment. The letter was dated July 23rd which I did not get it until Aug 1 and it stated I have 10 days to respond. again it went to a different address then where I live. Is there anything I can do? I called the original debt collector and explained the situation to them and they would be more then willing to take the $880 and stated they would send something to the lawyers to that effect but my question to is if the letter was dated July 23 do I have 10 days from when the letter was dated? or 10 days from when I got the letter which I have proof I did not receive it until Aug 1 as I have USPS informed delivery and can show it did not come in the mail until Aug 1. I live in NJ

If you paid the $880 now, then the amount garnished would likely be a lot less.

See...people prefer to have hard cash in hand as opposed to promises. You can tell them that you're going to often and as adamantly as you want, but they can't deposit that in the bank.

The total of the garnishment would be less. $880 + new interest less to be exact. There is no reason to think the per check payment would be a dime less.

You might want to hide that $880 to help you pay rent.

I just wanted to clarify for the OP. You wrote "amount garnished would likely be a lot less". Which is true. I just didn't want him to pay the cash he had on hand with the thought it would lower the per pay period payment.

He may need that $880. To pay rent.

Back