? Defamation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpc5

Help!
My boss showed me an email he had received today from a third party that had originated from a former co-worker (subordinate) of mine. In the email, the former co-worker alleges that I used poor judgement in some business decisons, spoke disparagingly about other subordinates, and worst of all, claims that I stared at her breasts on one occasion. None of this is true. Needless to say, this has shocked and upset me greatly.... Although my boss claims to believe me, and trust me, I worry that this has tarnished my reputation with him and will cost me going forward. He said that he's going to "check me out" with some of my other subordinates, which I'm not worried about since I believe I've done nothing wrong. Again, I'm more concerned about the perception that this creates (i.e., having this thing happen to begin with). What should I do??

Thanks!

The coworker's complaints are likely defamatory if her statements were false and your boss shared the statements with a third person, which is likely. In this instance, it would seem that your best bet would be to write an email to your boss and HR department vehemently denying the allegations as blatantly false. Do you have any idea why the former coworker would disparage you? Additionally, was this communication made after she was terminated? If so, you may want to write that this person is no longer in the company and you should point this out as well as the sour grapes issue and placing blame everywhere but on herself. Your denial is important and save the email.

Originally posted by mpc5
Help!
My boss showed me an email he had received today from a third party that had originated from a former co-worker (subordinate) of mine. In the email, the former co-worker alleges that I used poor judgement in some business decisons, spoke disparagingly about other subordinates, and worst of all, claims that I stared at her breasts on one occasion. None of this is true. Needless to say, this has shocked and upset me greatly.... Although my boss claims to believe me, and trust me, I worry that this has tarnished my reputation with him and will cost me going forward. He said that he's going to "check me out" with some of my other subordinates, which I'm not worried about since I believe I've done nothing wrong. Again, I'm more concerned about the perception that this creates (i.e., having this thing happen to begin with). What should I do??

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back