Defamation Suit for Online Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicool

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this in. If it isn't, I apologize and would appreciate the post being moved to the correct one.

I recently had some work done at home and my experience with the contractor was very negative. As such, I left a negative review on a few websites including Yelp, Kudzu, and Google. I received a letter this morning from an attorney claiming my posts constitute defamation and demands that I "remove the posting and retract the statements regarding [the contractor]." It also states a demand "that you cease and desist from any further attempts to injure, defame, or interfere with the business of [the contractor]."

The reviews I posted consist of facts but based on research a few things I posted cannot be proved in a court of law and I don't want to take that risk. They also contain some opinions and feelings based claims including "he will rob you blind." With that said, though, I strongly feel that this contractor has positive reviews online by using this tactic against others and I truly feel that someone has to take a stand. Most people don't know better and are being overcharged and unnecessary work is being performed. Based on the letter I received I can truly see how he has only positive reviews online.

My questions are as follow.

1. If I edit my post and take out anything that cannot be proven in court but leave facts in (such as charges from his invoice to me) would that violate the "interfere with the business of" clause above and would this still constitute defamation?
2. In my reviews left for them can I mention the fact that I was contacted by the contractor's attorney and asked to remove my previous review because, allegedly, it constituted defamation?

Here's a quick structure of what I would like the new review to say.
"This is my experience with the contractor. Your experience may or may not be the same.
Called contractor, symptoms included xyz. I advised him that websites list cause1 as the cause.
01/01/13: Charged $250 for 'installation of xyz'. Item installed: (model number), cost as of 01/01/13 on homedepot.com: $50. Day's total invoice: $380
01/02/13: Charged $450 for 'xyz', $250 for 'xyz'.
01/03/13: Finally did a test for cause1 and fixed the cause.
01/04/13: Leak in pipes installed on 01/01/13 caused basement to be flooded and damaged items.
01/05/13: Negative reviews posted online.
01/15/13: Contacted by contractor's attorney stating review left on 01/05/13 constitutes defamation and must be retracted.
01/17/13: Reviews edited to remove opinions and to contain only facts that can be proved in a court of law."

Help will be truly appreciated.

Personally I would not have edited my opinion at all. I would opt to let the contractor cry about my poor opinion of his work.
You don't have to do anything at all unless a judge orders you to. The letter from the attorney means nothing... junk mail really.
To win a complaint of defamation the contractor would have to prove damages which likely can't be done. Your comments would also have to be malicious in intent, which they apparently aren't.
I suggest you simply ignore these communications and share your opinion with whoever you like.

I disagree - this IS actionable, as quincy and I explained on a different forum. It doesn't matter, really, if there are damages. They can BURY the OP in legal costs as he tries to defend himself against a defamation action.

MY advice would be to remove the obnoxious part, and make something of a retraction.

If there are no damages then what is the basis of the claim?
Granted, there may be some harm done that isn't mentioned here, but as it is presented it seems easy to defend/dismiss.
If I were to edit my comments at all I would do so to include the subsequent crybaby threats to a dissatisfied customer.

Don't acknowledge their bullying.

I would also do a little research to find out if you are actually being contacted by an attorney.

Last edited:
That's just making it worse.

OP, you were advised "down the street" by a true expert on defamation suits. I'd follow his advice.

Thanks folks. I really wish there was a better option in dealing with this guy but it really seems there isn't.

I truly do appreciate the guidance.

That's just making it worse.

That's pretty much the point. It sounds like he is being bullied over a non-issue. He is free to share that information and they can whine about it all they want.
Sure, caving to their demands makes things simple, but if he wants to share his story about his experience he should be confident in doing so.
The attorney's letter is nothing more than a "pretty please". It's garbage and should be treated as such.

It appears that the OP was satisfied by the answers offered by the expert (elsewhere).

:cool:

Never post online opinions. Do tell your friends and relative how you dislike certain companies or businesses.

army judge hit the nail on the head!

Absolutely. There are sites such as Ripoff Report which have been involved with defamation cases - it's just not worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back