Defamation, Privacy Invasion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sujathapatel22

I am so furious about this, I dont know what to do: I had asked a local company not to call me, but to email me instead when they needed something.
I was working from home and was at a call with my manager and other coworkers. That company called me yet again, so I begged them yet again
"I have asked you folks to email me, not call me, you could cause seomeont to kill themselves". They hung up on me.

Five minutes later the 911 operator called me asking me if I am suicidal. She said she has to send the police.
I called that company and asked to talk to their manager and went downstairs to talk to the police.
Sure enough the police arrived in minutes, he was very nice, he was able to tell this was a misunderstanding.
WHile I was talking to him, the company manager called me, and I told them I dont want them to have anything
to do with my account any more, dont ever touch it again. The officer then left to go to his car,
and came back minutes later telling me they called again and told the police I am harassing that company.
The officer thought it was a misunderstanding, as he was next to me when I talked to the company,
I may have been harsh and stern, but there was no swearing, no screaming, no harassment, nothing.

What can I legally do against that company?

That I have already done, that wasnt legal. I wondered if there was something legal I can do. Another thing I want to do is notify their insurance company of their practice, so as to realize the liability it carries. However, I dont know how to find their insurance company...

That I have already done, that wasnt legal. I wondered if there was something legal I can do. Another thing I want to do is notify their insurance company of their practice, so as to realize the liability it carries. However, I dont know how to find their insurance company...

There's very little that can be done, unless you are rich and famous.

Us PO FOLK, we just change our telephone numbers.

Changing your telephone number, keeping it very private (you won't get Obama, Biden, Bush, or Clinton's cell phone numbers, because they keep it on the LOW-LOW.

Seriously, change the number, keep it private, let it go.

There is no legal action you can take. You suffered no damages but a little embarrassment, and embarrassment is not something you can take legal action for. There is no reason to report to their insurance company, since nothing happened for which they have any liability.

You need to realize that in a day when people take guns into schools and dormitories and workplaces and shoot these places up because they felt they were entitled to be treated differently than they were, a comment like yours is one that raises HUGE red flags. No one defamed you; they very wisely asked for a welfare check when someone made a comment that could very easily have been translated as suicidal, and when they realized it was all a misunderstanding they went away.

That's not something for which you can sue.

damages?

Suppose that I have sufferred damages in the order of $5K to 10K(which I have, I just did not mention before).
Now, what can do about it? What can I file?

> You need to realize that in a day when people take guns into schools and dormitories
> and workplaces and shoot these places up

Foirgive me, but this is totally irrelevant.

> because they felt they were entitled to be treated differently than they were,

This too. Remember, I did not call them, they called me.

> a comment like yours is one that raises HUGE red flags.

The expression "you are killing me", "I am so behind on this project I may very well shoot myself' etc, are all similar.
If what you are saying is right, no one would even dare to sing "I shot the sheriff" anymore.

> No one defamed you;

Actually, we believe they did.

> and when they realized it was all a misunderstanding they went away.

Thats the worst part, they did not go away.

So, what can I file for damages?

You go tell that story to an attorney and get him to tell you what you can file for damages. I don't believe a word of it.

change of plans?

> You go tell that story to an attorney and get him to tell you what you can file for damages.

If I were to do that, then what are YOU here for? Dont you think your suggestion is killing the purpose of this very site here?
And if you are not an attorney, why do you answer?

> I don't believe a word of it.

Your entrances, let alone beliefs, so far are vague and could easily be misinterpreted.
In above sentence, what is "it"?

Further, you seem to want to dictate the action and render your judgment and that's that.

Not sure if you realize it, but you are killing a conversation in your own capricious way.

Not sure why all this bias, but if you were my attorney, you would next be getting an email
having as subject : CHANGE OF PLANS

The purpose of the site is not to provide individual legal advice. It is to provide general legal information. As for the responders, clearly you did not read the terms of service when you signed up.

Since the site is obviously not meeting your needs, I think we're done here. As are you.

> You go tell that story to an attorney and get him to tell you what you can file for damages.

If I were to do that, then what are YOU here for? Dont you think your suggestion is killing the purpose of this very site here?
And if you are not an attorney, why do you answer?

> I don't believe a word of it.

Your entrances, let alone beliefs, so far are vague and could easily be misinterpreted.
In above sentence, what is "it"?

Further, you seem to want to dictate the action and render your judgment and that's that.

Not sure if you realize it, but you are killing a conversation in your own capricious way.

Not sure why all this bias, but if you were my attorney, you would next be getting an email
having as subject : CHANGE OF PLANS

Please, don't make the discussion personal.

This site is here to offer ideas and suggestions, not to dispense legal advice.

As is the case for all of us, you are free to speak with a local attorney.

In fact, it is always wiser to hire your own attorney, much like hiring your own plumber, physician, landscaper, housekeeper, dentist, or any other professional service you require.

Thank you, have a great day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back