Defamation or Slander, which is it and what can I do about it now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

estrong2238

I will start from the beginning.

I talked with President Berryhill with the National Coalition of Pastors' Spouses on Monday to tell her that I had been offered a permanent position with anotehr company and I was asking how she felt about it because I wanted to take her into consideration and I valued her input. She asked me to wait for her to pray about it, but I needed her to respond as quickly as possible because my deadline was Monday before 4:00pm on Monday the 6th of March, 2006.

The following Tuesday, I worked at home. I called her and talked with her and she indicated that she was comfortable with me working at home, which I did. I had the company laptop, the company blackberry, the power plugs for both devices and the keys to the facility. I rested on Tuesday.

Wednesday, I was contacted by Mrs. Berryhill and she was wanting to know how I was feeling. She told me that she did not need me to come in but that she wanted to speak with me regarding the matter about the job. I had no problem with that, actually she could ahve discussed it with me over the phone at that time, but she did not. I retuned home to work and was receiving calls through the blackberry, but I knew that they were for me and not from the office because I talked her through disabling the call forwarding feature on the phone to receive calls in the office.

I think she tried to call me about 4 times through the blackberry, but because I knew that the company had to pay for those calls I tried not to use it too much during the daytime hours. So I did not answer it.

I was contacted by my employer, OfficeTeam Staffing Agency, and my staffing representative Kim Jones informed me that if I sdid not return the property of NCPS before 9:00 thursday morning that they would begin prosecution of me. I sent out two e-mails, in response to Kim's e-mails and have been keeping everything that we discussed and I will admit one of my e-mails was not nice at all . .. I was pissed and went off about the whole thing. But I did return the property on Thursday morning as requested. However, I returned the keys to the property to Mr. Robert Vance, the owner of the facility.

He informed me Thursday morning that President Berryhill had told him that I had gained access to the facility and stolen the laptop and blackberry device forcing him to charge her for having all of the keys replaced. BUt he could not understand why I would return to the facility to give him the keys to his property if I had stolen things off of his property. He said it was not typical of a smart thief to do that and began questioning me about exactly what happened.

I will start from the beginning.

I talked with President Berryhill with the National Coalition of Pastors' Spouses on Monday to tell her that I had been offered a permanent position with anotehr company and I was asking how she felt about it because I wanted to take her into consideration and I valued her input. She asked me to wait for her to pray about it, but I needed her to respond as quickly as possible because my deadline was Monday before 4:00pm on Monday the 6th of March, 2006.

The following Tuesday, I worked at home. I called her and talked with her and she indicated that she was comfortable with me working at home, which I did. I had the company laptop, the company blackberry, the power plugs for both devices and the keys to the facility. I rested on Tuesday.

Wednesday, I was contacted by Mrs. Berryhill and she was wanting to know how I was feeling. She told me that she did not need me to come in but that she wanted to speak with me regarding the matter about the job. I had no problem with that, actually she could ahve discussed it with me over the phone at that time, but she did not. I retuned home to work and was receiving calls through the blackberry, but I knew that they were for me and not from the office because I talked her through disabling the call forwarding feature on the phone to receive calls in the office.

I think she tried to call me about 4 times through the blackberry, but because I knew that the company had to pay for those calls I tried not to use it too much during the daytime hours. So I did not answer it.

I was contacted by my employer, OfficeTeam Staffing Agency, and my staffing representative Kim Jones informed me that if I sdid not return the property of NCPS before 9:00 thursday morning that they would begin prosecution of me. I sent out two e-mails, in response to Kim's e-mails and have been keeping everything that we discussed and I will admit one of my e-mails was not nice at all . .. I was pissed and went off about the whole thing. But I did return the property on Thursday morning as requested. However, I returned the keys to the property to Mr. Robert Vance, the owner of the facility.

He informed me Thursday morning that President Berryhill had told him that I had gained access to the facility and stolen the laptop and blackberry device forcing him to charge her for having all of the keys replaced. BUt he could not understand why I would return to the facility to give him the keys to his property if I had stolen things off of his property. He said it was not typical of a smart thief to do that and began questioning me about exactly what happened.

You're referring to the statement made that you had stolen company devices, and this is untrue I'm assuming.

What I can help with is this:
There are two forms of defamation...
1.) Slander- an oral untrue statement made about someone to a third party.
2.) Libel- untrue statement made in writing.

You're referring to the statement made that you had stolen company devices, and this is untrue I'm assuming.

What I can help with is this:
There are two forms of defamation...
1.) Slander- an oral untrue statement made about someone to a third party.
2.) Libel- untrue statement made in writing.

I agree (and please understand that this is a very general definition).

Q: Defamation or Slander, which is it and what can I do about it now?

A: If you want to hire a lawyer (about $20K) and put aside some time (about three years), you can do that. There is no guarantee that you will win. If you win, there is no guarantee that you will collect on a judgment.

I agree (and please understand that this is a very general definition).

Q: Defamation or Slander, which is it and what can I do about it now?

A: If you want to hire a lawyer (about $20K) and put aside some time (about three years), you can do that. There is no guarantee that you will win. If you win, there is no guarantee that you will collect on a judgment.

I agree! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back