Defamation of Character/Slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4ylinx0x0

My boyfriend's ex-girlfriend is taking him to court for child support/custody. On the court forms she filled out, that were sent to his house, she clearly stated that I "verbally abuse" the child, calling him "retarded," and then signed it. I have many witnesses when I am around the child that I wouldn't do or say that, and never have. She has no proof that I ever did anything of the sort. I'm concerned about my reputation and the thought of this lie is making me sick. It's such an outrageous and wrong claim, it's literally making me sick to my stomach and it's been constantly clouding my mind ever since I read the court papers. This isn't the first time she has made these kinds of claims. Is it possible to sue for defamation of character or slander before she makes up more lies? And if so, how expensive would it be?

The child (my boyfriend's son) I supposedly "verbally abused" has cerebal palsy.

Last edited:
Privilege

What was written in the form is I believe was a privilege matter, that means it enjoys some form of immunity. However, there can be a good ground for prosecution if found later on, in the resolution of the main complaint that the statement were not true. This has to be addressed by an Attorney, as the same involves intricate considerations.

It is not likely you will prevail in such a dispute. Its bes to put you energy into something more positive. You have no damages really. Its a stick n Stones issue. I understand your upset but any attempt at a law suit based soley on what you posted here is likely to make you look bad not her

Well, I don't exactly take it lightly when someone accuses me of verbally abusing a disabled child, especially when the situation has nothing to do with me in the least. Maybe it isn't possible to sue her for it or whatever, but it's not right that she's using something 100% untrue to defend a child custody case that has nothing to do with me. I've only ever met this girl a max. of 5 times, and spoken to her under 3 times at that. So, to think that someone would make up a lie like that about someone you've hardly met, just completely boggles my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back